• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing ram...question on timings and getting it right!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PearlJammzz

SO I have been messing w/ my ram lately and have got it to run stable at 4-3-3-9 and 4-4-3-5 both 2t. I have tried setting them to 1t but it never stays stable for more than about 15min. What else can I try/change to get it down to 1t? I have g.skill HZ sticks, 2x1gig, and an EVGA 680i board.

Also, if I have 4x1g sticks in there, can I still use 1t or do I HAVE to use 2t?

HAve you tried giving a bit more voltage? what voltage are you running them at now?, also try taking the timings back to the stock timings and then changing the command rate, and run a comparitive Memtest to see if having a 1t command rate is actually better, as I have the feeling that its not...but dont quote me on that, it may not be right.

I've given them up to 2.35, which I think is pushing the limits for sure.

I do not understand timings that well, and what ratios/numbers you should have to get it to work right, I have just followed what other people have posted works for them. Any information on how to setup/use timings to your advantage and so they work?

As far as testing memory speeds, everest and 3dmark06 scores work?

I've given them up to 2.35, which I think is pushing the limits for sure.

I do not understand timings that well, and what ratios/numbers you should have to get it to work right, I have just followed what other people have posted works for them. Any information on how to setup/use timings to your advantage and so they work?

As far as testing memory speeds, everest and 3dmark06 scores work?

What I would do is keep my RAM and FSB at a 1:1 ratio. Then, try 1T and memtest it to make sure its stable. After tha you can tighten your timings. With that ram, I would aim for 4-4-4-8. No, you do not need that voltage. Keep it at 2.2V.

BTW what is your fsb??

333 now, I am aiming for 400, or hopefully ~450-466ish with my new g0 Q6600 on water cooling.

With that I am looking at 800-933 mhz ram. I figure I'll start w/ a 400x9 to start off since that is way cake to pull off, and sync ram 1:1 and tighten the timings the best I can.

and yes, seems to be the general notion that 2.2-2.25 is about as high of voltage you wanna give your ram so I don't wanna go over that (only went up due to just seeing if it's stay stable).

Now does upping the voltage on the NB (SSP) or SB (MCP) effect my ram at all? I would think the SB does but am not sure. Any info?

Thanks for all the info guys, without you I'd be a total n00b, haha.

Well as of now I have it running 4-4-3-5 1T for 45min w/o failures running 2 instances of orthos. Will get a pic up soon...

Hopefully I can bench and see a speed difference

Now does upping the voltage on the NB (SSP) or SB (MCP) effect my ram at all? I would think the SB does but am not sure. Any info?

Thanks for all the info guys, without you I'd be a total n00b, haha.

Yes, upping your northbridge will sometimes help with your RAM. Upping your southbridge wont help, since the southbridge handles storage mainly, and you are not interested in that while overclocking.

Also, the NB is usually called the MCH!

Wow, my *** is WAAAAY off then. Regardless, here is what everest is telling me on my voltages: Question, does this post actuals? Or just what the bios says?

ramnu8.jpg

for 2.1v, I dun think it's half-bad. Gunna run some benchmarks to really see what's better, speed or tighter timings. That is for another day though!

Gunna run some benchmarks to really see what's better, speed or tighter timings. That is for another day though!

Usually, the best way to do it is to get your maximum FSB and run it at a 1:1 ratio.Then, try and tighten the timings as much as possible.

Good luck

Back