• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mobo chipset, Intel or Nvidia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
I've been back and forth with this many times. I'm very confused and do not know which chip set to get for my e6850. I would like to over clock it a little, but not to radical, because I want to stick with stock cooling for now.

I've had my heart set on the evga TR series board, but for the last week, been looking at the P35.

The board needs to have 6 SATA ports. two for RAID, and the other four for DVD ROM & Burner, leaving me with two spare ports for future upgrades. I have the HT claro+ for sound , so the on board audio will be disabled. I don't plan on going SLI, but all the nice features are on the more advanced boards. I like the P965-DS3 for the price and features. I need some help guys...

Thanks in advance, and if this thread is a repeat, sorry.

If you are not overclocking much it doesn't really matter, but unless you want to do SLI I would go with the P35 because if you do decide to push your chip later on the P35 has a more head room. Also the Intel RAID is better than on NVIDIA, especially on the P35. The P35 also runs cooler than all the 600 series boards.

So it is simple, if you want SLI go EVGA 680i A1, if not go with a P35.

its really a tough call, in the end it al boils down to what you want to do with it :) p35 is faster then p965, but 680i is pretty nice too, actually ive had a lil more time with mine (second day), and its alot nicer then i thought it was. what to do, what to do.. id reccomend both.. so im not really any help heh. in my short experience with the 2 chipsets, p35 ocs quad, and dc very well. benches very well, does everything well. there are some placement issues on the board itself, silly things that seem over looked and make the boards (asus) seem rushed out. my quad also runs warmer on the asus. the evga im running now, has some pretty neat features, like power and reset buttons on the board, nice sata cables, and just a better feel overall solid feel to it, you can feel the quality. i need to get a dualcore to see what this board can do.. but my p5b-d, and p5k-d both did 500+fsb with my old 6300, 515fsb for the p5b, and 530 for the p5k, but i couldnt cool that insanely hot cpu. i could go on about both and rattle off pros and cons.. i think youd be happy with either one of them

its really a tough call, in the end it al boils down to what you want to do with it :) p35 is faster then p965, but 680i is pretty nice too, actually ive had a lil more time with mine (second day), and its alot nicer then i thought it was. what to do, what to do.. id reccomend both.. so im not really any help heh. in my short experience with the 2 chipsets, p35 ocs quad, and dc very well. benches very well, does everything well. there are some placement issues on the board itself, silly things that seem over looked and make the boards (asus) seem rushed out. my quad also runs warmer on the asus. the evga im running now, has some pretty neat features, like power and reset buttons on the board, nice sata cables, and just a better feel overall solid feel to it, you can feel the quality. i need to get a dualcore to see what this board can do.. but my p5b-d, and p5k-d both did 500+fsb with my old 6300, 515fsb for the p5b, and 530 for the p5k, but i couldnt cool that insanely hot cpu. i could go on about both and rattle off pros and cons.. i think youd be happy with either one of them

A1 or T1?

there was already a thread about this recently after the several thousand between 5 forums in the last 6 months.

the A1 and T1 are IDENTICAL MOBOS FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME

the A1 comes with a registerable lifetime warranty and a butt load of wires and BS

the T1 has a 3 year warranty and comes with only whats needed for peripherals, and again other than that THE MOBOS ARE IDENTICAL.

the different one is the TR

Maybe this should be a sticky.. So we don't get you upset...

EDIT: But all three boards are IDENTICAL. Other than warranty and goodies, whats the real difference?

Last edited:
Back