• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X38 or P35???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigss

I'm building a new system and I was set on a P35 until I heard all the hype about the X38, although, it may be a bit more than I was wanting to spend. I'm likely getting a Core 2 Duo E6750. For P35, I am between a Abit IP35 and a Asus P5k(prem. or deluxe)... and I guess the Abit X38. I'm definately planning on at least a moderate OC.

Either way I'm going with DDR2. Sooo will the X38 be worth wait/price.

The IX38-MAX will be DDR3 & the IX38 QuadGT is DDR2, so it will have to be the GT, hate to think what the price will be over the boards you listed.

looks like Ill probably just go with the p35 and spend the extra money on a video card upgrade

I don't think the performance is worth the extra money. But the thing to watch out for is how much better will it overclock. An article I read before (dunno if it is that one posted) claimed you could achieve the same clocks with a little lower voltages.

Also for now ddr3 is just way too expensive, so this is not a reason to get the x38 chipset. Ddr3 is also at this time has few if any speed advantages and will take a few months to mature. For now you need to decide if 2 to 4% is worth the extra cash.

just get a p35, it's out now, people have been getting good clocks out of it and DDR2 is still pretty cheap. i don't understand the problem :)

I would actually suggest a Gigabyte DS3R, just beause its cheaper than the P5K and does a very good of overclocking.

I would actually suggest a Gigabyte DS3R, just beause its cheaper than the P5K and does a very good of overclocking.

I have had a DS3R before my P5K Premium, and I can tell you the DS3R just cannot keep up with this board if you really want to push your OC. The vdroop damper is especially useful and the DS3R had MAJOR vdroop of up to 0.07V measured right on the board with a multimeter. If you want to max your OC there is a reason why the board is more expensive..... if you want best value then yes the DS3R is very good.

Back