• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is damaging my mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doitforthegals

Registered
Well i did OC it and yes it stuffed up again :(

The same thing happened to my Asus P5K last month, i had it replaced under Warranty because it was found faulty.

Current Rig:
[email protected]
GA-DS3R
2GB Kingston DDR800, 5-5-5-18
XFX 8800GTS
Creative XFI
Antec 550W PSU, 3x18A

Firstly 400FSB, mem 2.0@800mhz, cpu v 3.335, everything else is at stock voltage, locked PCIE@100mhz booted fine at 2.8ghz as you would expect. Went into WinXP and ran Orthos small ffts for 24hours. No problems, temps at 49deg full load. Opened a couple of games and there you go, same problems as last OC. see screenie below.

Before OC:

arma2007091309151075va0.png

After OC:

arma2007091309160943ty2.png

arma2007091309162303on1.png

Rebooted, Went back to stock clocks immidiately, into windows, tested game again at stock settings, same problem. Formated hard drive, re-installed XP, drivers, and a couple of games....same problem...took out motherboard, using a spare Asus P5B for now.

Once again the mobo has sustained permanent damage.

BTW it's not the video card or PSU, i had it running for days without problems until OC'ing.

Any idea how this could have happened?

Last edited:
Also, can you be more specific about that PSU? I am suspecting that...how old is it?

Also, can you be more specific about that PSU? I am suspecting that...how old is it?

Psu is Antec Trupower Trio 550W 3x 18A 12v rails, 8 months old. Psu damaged motherboard permanently from OC? Not likely.

Only happens in games (Armed Assault, Rainbow Six Vegas etc..), Windows XP is fine, 3dmark 05 and 06 run fine with no issues. You wouldnt even know there was something wrong with the pc until you opened up a game and ran around for about 5min, BSOD usually follows that yellow artifact crap.

So you're saying my PSU permanently stuffed up my mobo(DS3R) when i overclocked my rig even though i'ts running with no issues on that same PSU right now on another board(P5B) that is currently not overclocked?

If it has happened on 2 completely different MoBos then I would suspect the PSU, or graphics card. Have you tried underclocking the graphics card? You have the extra power connector attached to the graphics card, right?

The gfx card is @stock clocks and always has been, it's 3 weeks old and never been overclocked. Yes of course i have the power connector hooked up.

So if you think it's the PSU, why?
If you OC a system it draws more from the PSU but if it becomes unstable you get random resets and BSOD's. That does not explain the permanent damage to the motherboards, why the problem still exists when the OC is reset to default values and why there are absolutely no issues running the current non-OC'ed P5B with no issues.

I've honestly had enough, I'm going to get my DS3R replaced and then i'm not OC anymore. May as well wait till the 45nm processors, been through too much crap. Just wanted to know if someone has had these issues before or what could have caused the problem. I've had faulty PSU's in my time but they have never damaged motherboards permanently so i am somewhat reluctant to think this is what had happened in this case.

If you OC a system it draws more from the PSU but if it becomes unstable you get random resets and BSOD's. That does not explain the permanent damage to the motherboards,

Faulty PSUs are more then capable of damagine critical system components and it is why people suggest spending a lot of money on the PSU, people that suggest a good psu do so to prevent components from being damaged.

It would be in your best interest to get another PSU and see if it still happens.

HTH

No need to buy another.

Tell antec the caps have bust and they'll send a seasonic model. AFAIK.

Ok thanks, but which components on the motherboard would get damaged permanently that have to do with the gfx? And why would it only happen in games, why does it not happen in 3dmark 05 and 06 that are based on games, why don't i have this problem in 3dmark 06 in hdr maxed out and it still looks brilliant as if nothing was wrong?

Can you see what i'm getting at? I can not help but being confused. But thanks for your help, i will replace the PSU but i don't think i will be oc'ing again, it's too risky, too much down time, what if it's not the PSU, know what i mean?

Are you sure the MoBo is damaged?

Did you try underclocking the graphics card and see if the problem still occurs? I still think it's the graphics card.

No i didn't try that, i don't have the rig right now, it's been RMA'd. I don't think its the gfx. why?

1.Bought Asus P5K
2.Games worked fine
3.Oc'd
4.Damaged board
5.RMA'd Board
6.Got refund and got a DS3R
7.Games worked fine<<<<<<
8.OC'ed
9.Damaged board
10.Using spare Asus P5B (not OC'ed), all games are fine.

*Edit problem found:
There was an issue with the ddr#3 slot on this mobo and the mem was running in single channel causing that yellow crap pictured in first post.
Had to Re-seat the ddr2 ram in the ddr#3 slot and now it works fine@ 2.8ghz. Been running for weeks woot.

Last edited:
Back