• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it common for the onboard network card to have this issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f2racer

Registered
I recently setup Windows XP MCE 2005 (for PVR duty) on an older P4 machine. The machine has a cheap PCCHIPS M963GV V5.0,http://www.pcchipsusa.com/PCCWebSit...ailID=377&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=1&LanID=2, that I've owned for over a year (although in the year that I've owned it it's been used sparingly as a backup system). Everything seemed to work OK for about a week or so until yesterday I went to check the weather, and found that I couldn't connect to the Internet. After stopping the Media Center interface (remember it's a PVR so it's connected to a TV and autoboots into MC), I saw that said that "Network cable unplugged". No issues with the drivers in the Device Managed. I connected the cable to my laptop and connected fine, so it wasn't the cable. I tried enabling and disabling the network adapter in the Network Connections Control Panel, with the same result. I even tried ipconfig, but the command doesn't do anything unless a cable is connected first.

As a fix, I plugged in a spare 3Com 10/100 PCI adapter (using the same cable) which connected fine. Right now I'm guessing that the onboard network adapter broke. Is it common for this to happen to the onboard network adapter? Was it caused by having the computer on 24/7? The case is relatively well ventilated, so I don't believe it's caused by high temps. Is there anything I may have missed in trying to diagnose this issue? Since the motherboard only has 2 PCI slots, I'd like to get the onboard network adapter working again, so that I can stick my firewire card back in the box (I'd also like to use the machine to transfer home videos from my digital camcorder to disk). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Back