• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5WD2-Premium, Will not post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozmo_d

Hey there need some help from pro's

I have no clue what has happened to my rig but one day running flawless next day no post.

Ok so here is the problems it is displaying and the actions Ive taken to trouble shoot it but so far I haven't figured this one out, I'm starting to think the south or north bridge died?

Case fans spin & light up, I can hear the HD's start up cd & dvd burner lights come on & blink as usual, then go out as usual. The entire pc has power just as usual, except NO Beep, No Post, No Monitor, no beep codes, no access to bios screen, nothing... So I made an assumption based of prior experiences and ordered a new PSU which has fixed similar problems for me in the past.

Well I finally have the new PSU Corsair hx520 all wired in, double triple checked everything, fired it up... still have same exact problem NO Beep, No Post, No Monitor, no beep codes, no bios screen, nothing, just a bunch of fans spinning and the cd/dvd lights, Theres one LED on the mobo & its green, I'm assuming that means all is well LOL...

Heres what Ive tried so far.

Swapped out the Vid card with another that is 100% working card.
NO Beep, No Post, No Monitor, no beep codes, no bios screen, nothing.

Did the ram dance, Yanked 1, tried to boot, no post, yanked other, same thing, swapped slots, nothing, removed ALL ram from the mobo & I got the typical memory beep code error beep beep beep, put the ram back in just as it was before, no more ram beep code, but still same symptoms, no post.

I disconnected all optical drives, no post, disconnected C: Drive no post

Cleared CMOS for 15 Minutes, still no post.

I just cant get this dam thing to post to the bios or even kick the monitor on, if anyone
has a suggestion I'm all ears.

I really like this build I hope its not dust :(

P.S. I haven't had the OC applied since summer started, only during winter months.
Thanks

Last edited:
sounds like your rams bad try a cheap stick see if that works

Bad Ballistix? And they supposedly weren't even overclocked? Well I really hope THAT's not the case... but that's exactly why I'm keeping my 2x512 Corsairs around.

What about the PCI-E power cable to the video card? They got me with that once.

And you cleared CMOS for 15 seconds, have you tried removing the CMOS battery AND clearing CMOS?

I think the 520 is SLI ready so you might want to try different combinations with the PCI-E cables.

Is it possible that your BIOS chip has been corrupted / damaged?

Given that power gets to the components, but it never posts or enters the BIOS screen, I would give that consideration.

Do you know anyone with the same or similar motherboard that could loan you one? If you then determine that it was the chip, you could get a new one from Tmod for $15 or from Asus.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=254483

Edit:
If you don't have a friend with that board, you could always ship the chip to a fellow OCF member to test it for you. I have one of those boards, as I'm sure many others do, and it would not be a big deal to pull my chip out and drop yours in to test. Quite sure others would offer, as well.

Last edited:
Had the exact same problem 2 or so months ago on a machine I built for customer with the P5B Dlx board and 2x1Gb Ballistix. The pc worked fine for about 2 weeks then stopped posting in the exact manner you describe. Tried everything and anything to finally see that 1 mem stick was bad. RMA'ed the ram, things have been working peachy ever since.

@ richwood I may be able to get my hands on a stick of ddr2 for testing, somehow I just don't see how both sticks would die at the same time, anythings possible tho, so Ill try that, I already did the ram dance (swapping current sticks in every configuration possible)

@ rainless this rig has been running perfect for close to a year without a hitch it was oc'd in the winter, just not during the summer, the ambient air temp is just to hot also all of the power connections are plugged in including the pci-e, remember this pc was running fine for about a year when this happened out of the blue.

@ reefa I might have to take you up on that offer Im going to see if I can
borrow a stick of ddr2 first I haven't removed the bios battery yet but thats next on the list.

thx for the help

Had the exact same problem 2 or so months ago on a machine I built for customer with the P5B Dlx board and 2x1Gb Ballistix. The pc worked fine for about 2 weeks then stopped posting in the exact manner you describe. Tried everything and anything to finally see that 1 mem stick was bad. RMA'ed the ram, things have been working peachy ever since.

Ok thx Ill find some ram to test...

I'm having the same problem with my Asus P5WDG2 WS Professional. It will run fine for a week or two then just crash. It will not boot into the bios screen afterwards. When I power the PC off then pop the battery & Clear the CMOS, I still get no bios post untill about 10-16hrs later. Usually the next day it will boot into the bios and I can overclock it and it will run fine for another week or two before I have to repete the whole process again...

Ok, i don't fully understand why but heres what I did & the outcome...

Removed the power cable, removed the bios battery, set the bios jumper to clear, let it set like that for close to 18 hours, borrowed a stick of ddr2 from a pal, This morning I popped the ram I borrowed in slot 1, put the bios battery back in, set the cmos jumper to normal position, pluged in the power In that order, flipped the psu switch to on & it fired up np.

next I powered down the rig stuck one of my balistix in slot 1 and it fire up...

put the other stick in slot 2 and it went back to...
NO Beep, No Post, No Monitor, no beep codes, no bios screen, nothing

so I yanked the ram from slot 2 and put it in slot 1 same thing...
NO Beep, No Post, No Monitor, no beep codes, no bios screen, nothing

So Im assuming that stick died dont know why either no over voltage was applied was running them at there rated speed & voltage... grrrrrrr

Another queer thing now is that Disabling the Enhanced Intel Speedstep in the bios does nothing, prior to this chaos I could disable that & the cpu would run at 3.2 all the time... should I flash the bios?
To see if I can get that setting functioning again??

I have another question, I purchased this ram from a good guy in the classies will crucial return this for me or am I going to have to jump through hoops to get this replaced?

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem with my Asus P5WDG2 WS Professional. It will run fine for a week or two then just crash. It will not boot into the bios screen afterwards. When I power the PC off then pop the battery & Clear the CMOS, I still get no bios post untill about 10-16hrs later. Usually the next day it will boot into the bios and I can overclock it and it will run fine for another week or two before I have to repete the whole process again...

Have you run orthos or simular stress test on it for 24 hours?
If you have & it ran stable the first thing id do is stop ocing it, run it at default for a month or two if it continues, then rma that ram and start from square 1

Ill tell ya I hate asus this is the first and last asus board Ill ever buy, Ive been using Abit and never had this much problem.

I flashed the bios and Enhanced Intel Speedstep still not functioning properly

If I enable it it works as it should

If I disable it It acts as if it ignores that & keeps jumping between x12 & x16 multi

If I force low x12 then it runs at 2.4 all the time unless of corse I push the fsb up, is the cpu going defective? Its about 1 year old or so boxed version.

prior to the great pc debacle If I set it to disable it would run 3.2 at all times... :(((

alright after further massaging of the ram both sticks seem to run fine in slots 2 & 4
which prior to the 24hour bios reset they would not! :bang head

the really crazy thing is cpuz is reporting them as being is slots 1&2
they are in socket 2&4 which are bolth dark brown 1&2 are yellow...... and the speedstep setting in the bios still doesn't work properly

is the cpu or the mobo at fault here?

Sounds to me as if the RAM is the problem here. See if you can get an RMA. It could also be your board but from past expirence I have found RAM to cause issues of the such. Can you try your RAM in a buddies machiene? If so and it won't post in his box then the ram is for sure dead.

O man u guys are going to think Im nutz

turns out after many more tests that I do have a bad stick of ram.
finally got the speed step functioning properly needed to reset the bios after the flash.

Called Crucial today, very good customer service, there going to exchange these 8000's with some 8500's she says they stopped making 8000's I guess...

shweese what an ordeal thx for all your help everyone!!!

eeey just wanted to report back, crucial rma'd the ram without a hitch and shipped it back free...

ran memtest86 20 hours at default speed everything is back in order.

Thx again for all the help humans!!!

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out and that the Crucial RMA went well.

I've got a bunch of their products and its nice to hear that the support is there.

Back