• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech H2O-120 Compact and Corsair Nautilus 500 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

Anandtech reviewed both kits

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3097&p=1

We asked when we started this review "Is water better?". The clear answer is NO, after comparing the Corsair Nautilus 500 and Swiftech H2O-120 Compact to the top air coolers. Water cooling comes close to top air performance in current designs but it did not outperform top air cooling in any test results. Upcoming improvements in block design may bring water performance closer to the best air coolers but water is not likely to provide better performance than air in kits priced at under $300. Air is also much quieter than these water kits. For most enthusiasts air cooling is the better value, better performer, and lower noise system. Unless you plan to also water cool your video card and/or chipset there is no real reason to buy water cooling instead.

Was glad they reviewed those, planned to get the swiftech, but after the result no thanks.

Would disagree with the conclusion, for the watercooler you can get decent air and vgacooler, and a single fan radiator isn't enough for the cpu and a decent vga.

Single fan rad isn't enough for a dual core CPU far less a quad.
They are only saying what we have been saying all along. Cheap water cooling is no better than good air cooling. It will cost around $350 for a good wc rig.

Wow someone should be slapped. Hard. The 2 WC kits are bottom of the barrel intro kits... of course they are not going to perform better than top air. I could have told anyone that without the testing. What chaps my behind is that he is saying that water cooling is not better than air unless you spend over $300? Utter nonsense. For about $250 including fans you can have a D5 pump, Fuzion CPU block, a 3 fan Swiftech Rad, 15 feet of tubing and 3 fans. This setup would KILL any air cooling solution on the planet. Reviews like this make me angry as they twist the facts to suit their agenda.

^Agreed, ~$200 can easily get a 120.2radiator setup.

There is another review, that I cannot locate at the moment, showing the H20-120 Compact beating the Scythe Infinity significantly. So many conflicting reviews make you wonder...

Single fan rad isn't enough for a dual core CPU far less a quad.
They are only saying what we have been saying all along. Cheap water cooling is no better than good air cooling. It will cost around $350 for a good wc rig.

I had 1 Corsair Nautilus 500 and it 's not right choice for Quadcore. ~80 degrees fullload on Q6600.But for E6420,it 's very good performance (stay ~50 fulload at 3200Mhz 1.4v)

Talk about stacking the cards. That article is just plain stupid and geared to produce what they wanted to come up with. Although I frankly think that watercooling really shines when you add video cards to the mix, and really makes more sense when cooling video cards as well as the CPU. Air cooling just doesn't cut it at all compared to water especially when it comes to video cards.

I read this review and thought the same as nikshub. The lowest end bottom scrape of underperforming water kits can't beat top end air cooling, NO WAY!?

Ridiculous. Yes Watercooling is more expensive than air, but the performance is vastly superior if you actually buy or build a good water system.

And the whole single 120mm rad isn't enough is getting a bit old as well. A well built system using a good pump, good blocks and a good fan doesn't need any more than a single 120 to beat any air cooling solution for CPU or GPU only cooling. It's only if you start cooling multiple CPU's AND a GPU or two at the same time you start needing 120x2, you never really need 120x3 unless you're doing some serious overvolting.

And even the noise part of the review is nonsense. Show me one high end GPU Air cooler that makes less noise than a watercooled graphics card?

lol, i built my high end w/c system for 180 bucks. Apogee GT/MCR320/3x Yate Loons/20ft of tubing/D5 pump.

watercooling really isn't all that expensive if you know where to look. you dont need 300 dollars. and plus, you try and find me an air cooler thats quieter and better than the mcr320 and 7v yates

That was a vrzone review. LINK

Ahh thank you, I forgot where I read that. Is that review credible?

And the whole single 120mm rad isn't enough is getting a bit old as well. A well built system using a good pump, good blocks and a good fan doesn't need any more than a single 120 to beat any air cooling solution for CPU or GPU only cooling.
I whole heartedly (sp?) agree with you here.

Hell, even the old White Water + a decent 12v pump (ol' MCP600, DDC, D5, and members of their families) and a heater core or black ice/primo chill double or triple rad and for ~$150 you'll have a rocking setup. Lame Anandtech, just lame.

I have the same feeling too!!

comparing the low end w/c'ing setup to the top end air cooling and conclude it that w/c'ing is no better than air cooling unless one spend $300+ is just completely BS and VERY misleading!! I wonder how many people will be mislead by this article....... :(

People seem to forget Anandtech is a prosumer site not an oc website, so I would say they are right. Can't get compatitive P/P unless you know what to buy and devote some time to build it, what most people won't do.

Back