• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Striker Extreme locking up advice on stable settings much appreciated!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kajan

Hi all,

Recently bought a Striker Extreme mobo after reading some very positive reviews of the board, but have since read some horror stories about it!

I have not been able to get the board to run reliably at all, the longest I have been able to run it before it locks up is about 2 minutes, so I haven't even been able to install an OS on it. It's water cooled running a Q6600 CPU and a BFG 8800GTX GPU powered by Enermax Galaxy 850W. I've tried two types of RAM, 1GB OCZ 800MHz (CL3 can't remember exact timings ATM) (2.1V) and a 512MB Geil 667MHz CL5 stick (1.8-1.9V).

I've played around a little with voltages and memory timings, but it is very difficult as the system generally tends to lockup within 30 seconds or so, often before even making it to the BIOS screen, making changes very difficult!

One interesting thing is the BIOS temperature monitor reports the CPU temperature sitting between 13 and 14 degrees C... It's water cooled, but ambient is generally above that, which sounds impossible.

Tried updating BIOS to 1305 and back to 1303 but no change.

One suggestion I've had is to gradually increment CPU voltage to see if it makes it more reliable. I will try lowering RAM FSB and possibly CPU FSB as well, but this is difficult due to the lockup problems.

Any suggestions for what to try with BIOS settings to try and achieve stability would be MUCH appreciated! Should I RMA this board? Is it worth trying a cheap Celeron CPU?

Many thanks in advance!

Back