• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel X38 and SLi potential?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:eek: At the conclusion of Mr. Gelsinger’s keynote, he reaffirmed Intel’s commitment to their “tick-tock” model and said the future 32nm Westmere and Sandy Bridge platforms are well into development and will arrive in the 2009-2010 timeframe.

I know they let it slip a few times, but it is still up to nVidia.

:eek: At the conclusion of Mr. Gelsinger’s keynote, he reaffirmed Intel’s commitment to their “tick-tock” model and said the future 32nm Westmere and Sandy Bridge platforms are well into development and will arrive in the 2009-2010 timeframe.

I know they let it slip a few times, but it is still up to nVidia.

Update: We've just got word that Intel (and perhaps some of their partners) will be using an nForce MCP on some of their X38 based motherboards, and it's these boards that will support SLI.

Read in there carefully. Nvidia and I have read this elswhere and I will post it if I find it because I didnt believe it, has liscensed SLI for 1 specific layout. The Dual Socket 8 way gaming system that itel will be offering as they have nothing in this area, and in return asside from liscense fee's brokered Intel to use a number of NB discreet video on some boards. I am not sure as the exact negotiations werent published, just that the 1 gaming 2 socket will be sli capable.....thats not leaving us with a whole lot of options, and I bet it will cost an arm 2 legs and possibly a kidney.

basically. It will be intels top system, will deffinitly be DDR3, and possibly want FB-Dimms, but is supposed to be their ultimate system for gaming. It may very well only go out to oem's ala alienware, falcon NW maybe Dell and such, but for those of us concerned with OC'ing and not spending the price of a slightly used Porsche on it it's not really an option. It's something intel wanted to put together for benchmark bragging rights

Meh, too bad. ICHxR Matrix RAID plus SLI would be the ultimate turbo-speed system. But if it's just one (non-oc'able) Intel-brand board no matter. Then again SLI never really mattered to me :shrug: just a shame for those who like it.

I got a press release from Gigabyte about their latest X38 Motherboard, and upon calling them, it appears that all of their X38 chip Motherboards are NOT SLI compatible, and so far the (EDIT DQ6) is using PCI Express 2.0

So honestly X38 at this point only offers FSBs that are much higher than a 1066/1333 for CPU's. Too bad there arent too many cpu's out there to use it yet...

EDIT
I wonder how current top-of-the-line Video cards like the 8800GTX and 2900XT will fare with the new PCIE data rates.

Last edited:
The GA-X38-DQ6 is a high-end board that will reap all the benefits from the X38 chipset but will 'only' come with DDR2 slots so as to keep the cost of upgrading to some decent levels. Other than the 'old' DDR2, the board will feature support for Intel's upcoming 45nm CPUs with FSBs of up to 1600MHz. In addition, the new motherboard will have two x16 PCIe 2.0 slots and will support Crossfire setups (sorry guys, no SLI), eight SATA 3.0 Gbps connectors, two Gigabit Ethernet controllers, one IDE connector and integrated 8 channel audio.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=662323

They should remove that backorder due to arrive Sept 15th. geoffchad - the best video cards arent close to saturating twin X16 lanes now, but maybe the 9xxx nv cards will use it. This new chipset will mostly benefit peryn as we ate not board limited right now with the P35's.

Back