• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

What are the main differences between the Asus P5K Deluxe Wi-Fi, and the Asus P5K Premium Wi-Fi boards?

Is there a OC-abilty difference? A stability difference?

I just ordered my Q6600 G0, and will likely be using 1 of these 2 mobos, but not sure which one I want to go with.....

I read some reviews on Newegg bout the P5K premium and a fairly large # of ppl with that board (17% out of 42 ppl) has serious issues with posting as well as other issues.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well the premium has slightly better voltage regulation and it costs only 20 bucks more. I don't know how much it will effectively gain you on the oc though..

Also, don't pay too much attention to the reviews on newegg ;)

Are you able to determine which strap you are on with both mobos, or only the premium?

Can you change the strap on both mobos as well as determine where in the strap you currently are?

Thanks again to everyone who contributes.

Strap is a FSB/NB things:

533 = 133 strap

800 = 200 Strap

1066 = 266 strap

1333 = 333 Strap

Yes on the DLX you can change the strap . It also has the voltage damper option . when i got the dlx the Prem wasnt out or I would have got that .

So....basically if given the choice, It would be better to get the Premium and spend the extra $20-$30 in everyones opinion?

If its only $20 more why do I see SO many people (esp around here) with the P5K Deluxe instead of the Premium? The premium seems pretty easy to obtain and the price isnt a big issue.

Also, I have read the the Vdroop is a big problem with the P5K deluxe, but the "pencil mod" is very very easy (even for me I would think!!!!) and corrects the problem with Vdroop, whereas I have read that the Vdroop is NOT a problem with the premium?

Is this correct?

If it is NOT correct, and Vdroop is a problem with the premium is the general mobo layout the same so that the "pencil mod" is ok to use on the P5K premium as well?

Thanks again,

The problem isnt with the DLX or the prem it is on the normal version of the p5k that doesnt have the option in bios

So....basically if given the choice, It would be better to get the Premium and spend the extra $20-$30 in everyones opinion?

If its only $20 more why do I see SO many people (esp around here) with the P5K Deluxe instead of the Premium? The premium seems pretty easy to obtain and the price isnt a big issue.

I think it all came down to timing.

The P5K-Deluxe appeared and was clearly the flagship for the new chipset = everyone who was serious jumped in and bought it.

A couple of months down the track, Asus drops the Blitz, Premium, etc into the marketplace and everyone went... wow!

I would be surprised if there are many now who are actually still buying the Deluxe... it's so 'last year's model' ... not really, but you get what I mean... they are both great boards, just Asus has made the Premium their flagship in that line.

Having said that, I have yet to see anyone using the Blitz DDR2 board that has the aircooled northbridge (Blitz Forumla I believe it is). That looked to have better power and a couple of other advantages iirc.

Also, I have read the the Vdroop is a big problem with the P5K deluxe, but the "pencil mod" is very very easy (even for me I would think!!!!) and corrects the problem with Vdroop, whereas I have read that the Vdroop is NOT a problem with the premium?

Is this correct?

If it is NOT correct, and Vdroop is a problem with the premium is the general mobo layout the same so that the "pencil mod" is ok to use on the P5K premium as well?

Thanks again,

HECK NO, if you want to guarantee none or nearly no vdroop the Deluxe and Premium are the way to go and no need to do any kind of pencil vdroop mod.

That said the price difference is small enough that I would go with the Premium.... oh wait I DID! :D

I think it all came down to timing.

The P5K-Deluxe appeared and was clearly the flagship for the new chipset = everyone who was serious jumped in and bought it.

A couple of months down the track, Asus drops the Blitz, Premium, etc into the marketplace and everyone went... wow!

I would be surprised if there are many now who are actually still buying the Deluxe... it's so 'last year's model' ... not really, but you get what I mean... they are both great boards, just Asus has made the Premium their flagship in that line.

Having said that, I have yet to see anyone using the Blitz DDR2 board that has the aircooled northbridge (Blitz Forumla I believe it is). That looked to have better power and a couple of other advantages iirc.

Yea he is right I got my DLX the day the my local store got it in . We hadnt even heard of the Prem @ that point .

Cool thanks for all of the info.

Deluxe is out, Premium is in........Blitz....i have not heard of until now and am researching it.

Is there some advantage to the Blitz over the Premium? Each of the manuals is 182 pages long so it might take me a little while to read through both of them LOL.

Thanks again everyone :)

Errr.......P.S.

On the basic info page from www.asus.com it states that the blitx hsd 2X PCI-E slots and supports "dual graphics solution".

Does this mean that it will support an SLI setup? It states in very plain english it supports crossfire (I hate ATI personally), but nothing specific about SLI.

Thanks again :)

NVM regarding the Asus Blitz mobo.....

I see that it is exclusively DDR3 and not DDR2.

Im not really interested in going down the DDR3 road at this time :)

Hmm....and I now see that the Asus Blitz Extreme comes in both a DDR2 AND a DDR3 flavor......

I was ready to purchase the Asus P5K Premium, but may need to look more into the Blitz now.

Any thoughts?

Hmm....and I now see that the Asus Blitz Extreme comes in both a DDR2 AND a DDR3 flavor......

I was ready to purchase the Asus P5K Premium, but may need to look more into the Blitz now.

Any thoughts?

As I said (and no... I can't find a link to it on the #%!* Asus site) there is a DDR2 variant of the Blitz (I'm sure it is called Blitz Formula, without the SE on the end) that has aircooling on the northbridge, that iirc uses "2-phase" power for the ram slots, plus some other features that made it my pick, except that I can't get it here (yet anyways)

Yes on the DLX you can change the strap . It also has the voltage damper option . when i got the dlx the Prem wasnt out or I would have got that .
Just to note, my plain P5K has all those BIOS options. Also, the strap setting appeared when I flashed to the newest BIOS. The one my board came with was about 2 versions older I believe. I had vdroop but a quick couple swipes of a pencil cleared that up.

Voltage damper option is a BIOS settings that makes vdroop almost nil. If you had to do a pencil mod and don't have CPU Voltage Damper' in BIOS then your didn't have 'all those BIOS options.'

Voltage damper option is a BIOS settings that makes vdroop almost nil. If you had to do a pencil mod and don't have CPU Voltage Damper' in BIOS then your didn't have 'all those BIOS options.'
CPU Voltage Damper is in the BIOS as I stated. I also did the pencil mod, which elimated voltage droop entirely. What it was before the pencil mod, I didn't record, but those are the facts.

Back