• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5b-e o/c for 5 mo. then boom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nonstop

Registered
Hello all, I always find great help here and thought I would ask if I could get some help or ideas.

I had a p5b-e with a 6300 in it o/c to only about 2.5 for several months now with an arctic freezer hs/f then I upgraded to vista and also got an 8800gts 640 superclocked by evga and put them in. I ran for about a month with stock settings then decided to o/c up to where I had it before and the asus mb monitor kept freaking out saying 45c on the mb. Is that the nb reading?

Anyway I thought, this can't be right, and I have known asus software probe to be off before on other mbs I have built so I decided to do nothing. Well about 2 days later it would get past bios then windows wouldn't boot. I ran in safe mode and got everything to run only when doing safe mode without networking. Reloaded vista and got everything to work except the lan card. The drivers wouldn't install no matter how I tried.

Also ran a memtext86 and it ran all night with no errors but then, probably 10 hrs in, on about the 8th pass it found 1 error.

I rma'd the board and mem to newegg, which they were still taking after 6mo on mem and motherboard :), and now am wondering...

Was my whole problem that the gts8800 created too much heat for the mb? I'm pretty sure everything was the same as before when it ran fine, only change is vista and the 8800.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Could be just a faulty mobo from the start, and nothing else.

And yes, 45c on MB, is too hot. PC Probe is accurate on that. So in a way thats your fault for not providing better cooling.

When you upgraded to Vista... did you do a fresh install? Or upgrade over XP?
The fact that you could boot into safe mode w/o networking makes me think it was a software/driver problem.

45C does not seem like a high enough temp to damage a motherboard. In fact that seems rather low for running it overclocked period.

When you upgraded to Vista... did you do a fresh install? Or upgrade over XP?
The fact that you could boot into safe mode w/o networking makes me think it was a software/driver problem.

45C does not seem like a high enough temp to damage a motherboard. In fact that seems rather low for running it overclocked period.

Fresh installed for vista. It ran fine with vista for about a month until I overclocked it. Then I fresh installed after formatting 2x with no success.

I felt the same way about the temps even though Uglychild above there felt it appropriate to chide me and tell me it was my fault. lol

I didnt meant to chide you at all.

And you can boot in to safe mode with out networking, its not a software of hardware problem, its an option. And i have yet to hear, that an OS, or driver error, incapability, fried a mobo. Hardware usually gets fried do to being faulty or do to users fault/error.

45C on your MB is not low, thats on the high side, especially when you run at such temps for a long period of time, soon or later something will give. This is why, every cooling precaution must be taken when OC'ing, its been said on daily basis.

You simply ran your mobo too hot for too long. Im telling you this now, so you dont cook your next mobo or any future mobos for that matter.

Last edited:
Back