• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt changes dont stay on ECS 650i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

truptrup

Registered
I have been overclocking my e4300 and i got it stable to 2.7 then went to 2.8 and it would post but was not stable.
Anyway i tried to increase the volts from stock 1.3 to 1.325 or higher to make it stable but any change i make to the vcore doesnt actually change it. I can see in CPU-Z 1.40 that the volts are still 1.3 or actually a little lower at 1.28 and the bios still says it is at 1.3
Any ideas about this?

Last edited:
CPU-Z doesnt read the voltage properly.

Your mobo should have came with a CD, and on that CD is a monitoring software, something similar to Asus PC Probe.

And if your system is stable after you raised the voltage, then dont worry about it.

Use cpuz 1.41, it does a very good job at reading voltages, confirmed by actual board measurements with a DVM on my previous GA-P35-DS3R. However there may still be an error between the voltage in your BIOS and the actual voltage your cpu is getting. In my board there is a 0.02V offset so if I set it to 1.5V in reality it will be 1.48V this is not to be confused with vdroop.

Thanks for the replies but shouldnt my bios show the correct voltage anyway because when i set it to 1.325 or 1.35 or any volt change doesnt really matter. it still reports the voltage at 1.3 and its still not stable even when i set it to 1.4 so im almost sure the voltage is not changing since the bios and cpuz both agree that it is at 1.3

Also, i did get cpuz 1.41 and it reports 1.28
I understand that there will be small fluctuations in the voltage over what i set it at but i cant change it to anything other that 1.3

4kkkkk2.jpg

Last edited:
In general, don't trust cpu-z to report voltages correctly ;)

I put in the newest bios and the volt changes were cut way back. on the ram it went from a max of 2.1 down to 1.9 and the core was 1.6 now its at 1.4 and any changes to the core do not stay. but as always changes to the ram and fsb do work.

Then i put in the second to newest and got the full range of volts again.

Does anybody know where i could get the original bios that came stock? I tried searching the forums with no luck.

And would putting another vendors 650i bios in make the motherboard unusable?

Try manufacturers website of your mobo for all bios.

Dont ever flash bios from other mobos.

You could also have a bad mobo, so yo might want to RMA it, exchange it. But first, read Forums on the manufactures website of your mobo, you might find your answer there.

Alright everything is working. thanks for all the help.
I ended up putting in the bios from 4-03-07 not the newest because the newest one wouldnt let me overclock at all.
Then i read this and it helped me alot with disabling features that would hurt stability and understanding the things i was changing better.
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf
Also i read that this board is much more stable at multiples of 100/133/166 so that helped me picking frequencies.
Hope this helps other people with this board i really like it now that i understand overclocking better as it does work with that update.

ECS gave me this answer to my problem about the most recent bios update. I really enjoyed it
"We set a limit on the CPU overlocking features to avoid damaging the CPU since over-clocking doesn't really bring significant system performance boost, it's just a number game."

Back