• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Deciding. Into the case, or out the sides?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karnal

Through the rad and into the case, or out the sides?

Im wondering if there is any benefit to routing the air from the rad into the case, versus dumping it out the side. I have the components needed to do it either way. Will the air be significantly warmer after passing through the rad?

Here is the Rad with the shroud, minus the ends and fans.

Attachments

• Rad and Shroud.JPG
    Rad and Shroud.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Option 1

This is the setup I was considering for just letting the heated air blow out the sides.

Attachments

• Out the sides.JPG
    Out the sides.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 79
I always say route it so that it best compliments the air flow of your case. A picture/diagram of your case with air flow would be great.

And NICE freaking shroud. I wish I was the handy.

--pak

Option 2

Into the case. My biggest concern is if the air coming from the rad is going to be cool enough to help with the temp in my case, or if its going to be hot and in which case I should avoid pushing it into the case.

Attachments

• Into the case.JPG
    Into the case.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 126
Setup to blow into the case its 8 1/4". With the added pieces to let the air escape its 10 3/4" I tend to get a little excesive with my projects.

Very nice, really, wish I were half as handy so could actually make something myself.

IMO test it over the case, with the watercooling there isn't much what makes heat in the case any normal case with 1-2 intake and 1 exhaust fan should move enough air for the rest of the parts.

Using a shroud in the first place is going to net you a negligible performance boost, maybe a few percent better and not enough to make a difference. With the PA120.3 I know it is only 3%, although I am not exactly sure for your rad. It just doesn't take that much of a standoff with rads and the slight standoff built into them is sufficient. Using fans on both sides also doesn't yield much of a difference over fans on just one side. Your shroud does look good though.

It is always going to be better to give your rad outside air and vent outside of the case. The only way to do that however is to mount it outside of the case. I personally have mine top mounted sucking air out of the case and the air coming out of it is just barely lukewarm. Watercooling eliminates the largest sources of heat from the case anyway. I however would probably not vent the radiator exhaust into the case as that is where most of your heat is going to be transferred from you CPU/GPU to the radiator.

Back