• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Straw +P35

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Epilon

So this is my second time attempting to build my PC. I was using a 680i EVGA A1 board, and it is Dead, again. This is the deal. First one I got wouldn't POST, so I was like, "Ok, this happens, no big deal." Second time, after I recieved the replacement, I got it, It POSTED! I was so relieved. This was bare boarding it mind you, so then I installed the rest of the components and popped it in the case. Didn't POST. F7 for the loss right? I checked the ram, boards, HD's, but to no avail.
I am now seriously considering forgetting going in SLI, and going with a P35 Asus board. I wanted to run SLI as a gamer, and had two GTS 640mb in SLI. Although now, since I am seeing benchmarks that show 1 GTX or Ultra can out do a GTS SLI setup, I am thinking Crysis might be just as good from a P35.
I really need some advice here, as I have smoked my first cigarette in months because I am stressed. Would this be a good path to go as a gamer? Or should I try to stick it out and just try again?
Input is GREATLY appreciated.
thanks in advance

Unless you fried something (static) between the table & case setup the board is fine. I would pull the card & ram, clear CMOS then plug in one stick only and try to boot. If that doesn't work do the same only this time remove the battery for a few minutes as well as everything else (drives ect.) except the chip.

I tried everything I think. I tried swapping out the sticks, Hard Drives, and doing everything that way. Im pretty sure I didn't static shock anything. Although I didnt remove the battery. Im almost positive its something with the Board, but Im not entirely positive. I can check, but assuming its still the board, what are the reccomendations?

As I said try one stick only (different memory helps in this case as well) in a different slot after clearing CMOS with the card & ram removed. Then try the other method I mentioned ;)

my board wont post for some reason if i clear the cmos.. i get a c1 error. the fix for me? remove ram and power the board up with no ram, then plug in a stick and fire it up and do my sttings up in the bios, save and power off, add more ram and away i go :)

Edit:

whoops my bad wrong chipset :beer:

my board wont post for some reason if i clear the cmos.. i get a c1 error. the fix for me? remove ram and power the board up with no ram, then plug in a stick and fire it up and do my sttings up in the bios, save and power off, add more ram and away i go :)

Edit:

whoops my bad wrong chipset :beer:

Do that and according to OCZ sources, you will kill your DDR2! :)

Ok! so! I got the board to post, when it is bare boned, so I dont think its a problem with the board. Although when I put the same set up in the case, Only 1 card in, 1 stick of ram, it doesn't POST. Could it be shorting out somewhere??? Ive got it open on my floor, awaiting instructions!

Yeah, I'd say the case or something in/on the case is causing a short. Just a stupid question, but you are using the little brass standoffs to mount your motherboard, right?

those 680i boards suck, sorry to say it, but they do, go with the P35 chipset and use crossfire, of course there is still the possibility of X38 having SLI, im hearing that they may be using MCP's for SLI on intel chipset boards.

Just got my evga 680i a1 up and running on a desktop no case. Q6700 processor, 4 mb Ballistx pc8500, 8800 ultra, booted up 1st try not hitches, recognising everything I put in it.

Yeah, I'd say the case or something in/on the case is causing a short. Just a stupid question, but you are using the little brass standoffs to mount your motherboard, right?

Ya. The little brass ones that came with my Stacker 830.
I think In the process I might have shorted out my q6600. It is making this high pitch deafening noise when i give power to the board. Im testing my cards in a friends computer to make sure they work, but I think Im gonna swap this for a P35. My only question though, is when crysis comes out, will it be optimized for SLI, which is when my 8800GTS's could shine?

And Im not sure I can wait till the beginning of next year for affordable, good revisions of X38's.

The early testing on the x38 are showing a 2 to 5 % increase in speed. That is really not much, especially considering the premium these boards will bring, and the maturing they will likely need. Get the x35 if u wan it.

The early testing on the x38 are showing a 2 to 5 % increase in speed. That is really not much, especially considering the premium these boards will bring, and the maturing they will likely need. Get the x35 if u wan it.

So is it common for a gamer to use a P35? Or do they normally get SLI? Just because I want to be able run games with the most FPS possible, obviously. Just without spending 1k+ on SLI 8800 Ultras, lol. Or am I cutting myself short by not going SLI? Just because the P35 seems like a much better option at this point.
Im a little frustrated with the 680I
and I noticed something funny. A pin on the Processor space on the Mobo was missing, I found it jamed in with the other little pins that the processor fits into.
ehhh

I noticed something funny. A pin on the Processor space on the Mobo was missing, I found it jamed in with the other little pins that the processor fits into.
ehhh

There's your problem. Sorry to tell ya, I can't imagine a CPU or motherboard living through that if it was seated while in that condition. Who knows what was damaged when that power button was pressed.

As far as SLI goes, if you're looking for advice, don't bother. Seriously. It's not worth the hassle. Just get an 8800GTX or Ultra, OC it and call it a day. It's a no brainer IMO. Less heat, less setup, less power consumption, better performance.. and if I'm not mistaken, it's cheaper to go with one GTX or Ultra than it is to go with two GTS's.

Back