• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanna do a watercooling project.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

Ok, so for my senior project, I need something that will take me 15+ hours to do. So I thought, hey why not build a water cooling system and set it up, with bleeding and everything and then plug n play everything will take atleast 15 hours.

I know nothing about watercooling really, It would be nice if their was some kind of a guide, but I have looked around a bit and get a general Idea. So you need a radiator, tubing, the things that go on the cpu/gpu. How much would it cost me for parts? I would be putting this in an antec 900 case, where would I be able to put the radiator ? :eek: I would love to have water cooling instead of a stupid heatsink, I think its a much better idea. I would say that I am willing to spend up to $150 on parts for water cooling. Can someone pls help and point me into the right direction.

also, would any other case work better? like I can get the antec900 for $100, any other cases would be easier, just as good, better for similar price?

Thank you guys so much, I love this forum. Everyone is soo helpful :D

ALSO 1 more thing, how much more would it be if I wanted to cool my gpu also?? would $150 dollars cover the cpu and gpu for supplies??

is that all I need? A cpu and gpu block, a radiator, and tubing? thats all that you need for water cooling. I think were missing something. Those do look nice.

I dont have a clue about water cooling, but i dont see a pump in all that .. i think you need one lol :D

^yeah your right lol...

Things Needed: (correct me if i'm wrong)
CPU/GPU block
Water Pump
Radiator
Tubing

That's what I was implying when I said 'other things'

EG. coolant,pump(I'd reccomend D5)

You'r gonna push 150 if it's a GPU+CPU loop.

^yeah your right lol...

Things Needed: (correct me if i'm wrong)
CPU/GPU block
Water Pump
Radiator
Tubing

Are you doing a resevoir or a tLine for filling. For a first timer I suggest a resevoir, they are not expensive, and make bleeding easier.

Oh and dont forget fans for the radiator, and materials if you want to make a fan shroud... not necessary but it helps by pulling hte fan away from the rad so you dont get a dead spot.

this is your senior project... shouldn't YOU be building it and not some company? c'mon man... drill the block... make the radiator out of copper pipes and copper fins... BTW $100 isn't going to top a $30 air cooler I don't think...
Have a look at this:
x_block1.jpg

someone at procooling forums made that... yes they had a CNC mill but you can make a block on a drill also...

I think that would be way too much for me lol ^ I have no experience at all and that would be very tough.

And i probably wouldn't cool the gpu just yet... just the cpu for now, would be cheaper.

whats a good water pump?

Last edited:
are you going to build anything for this... the project seems more to be assembling a computer... Maybe make a fan controler.. or an emergency shutdown temp sensor... a hard drive window mod...

yeah^ I should probably build something that would take up time. I was thinking of modding my antec900 case, like cutting out metal on the right side and putting in a window or adding a fan hole or something. but what would be something easy tot build for water cooling?? suggestoins?

yeah^ I should probably build something that would take up time. I was thinking of modding my antec900 case, like cutting out metal on the right side and putting in a window or adding a fan hole or something. but what would be something easy tot build for water cooling?? suggestoins?

A self made reservoir is a nice project. Or even a shroud for your rad.

I vote for the reservoir window. It looks quite nice when done :)

that seems really hard to do. make your own CPU water cooling block. Eeeek. I am not a metal worker and I dont have any tools at all for that sort of thing. Sorry. im still wondering what that reservoir window is lol...

Back