• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOBO for running 2x 2900xt!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Porkus

Registered
im currently starting a new build and im looking or a mobo that will happily run 2 ati radeon 2900 xt's i prefer asus or abit any help guys will be appreciated.
looking around the £150 mark.

thx guys luke

The new AMD Chipset shoud be out VERY Soon. The 790 chipset which will have PCI-E 2, and be AM2+(But will run older AM2 chips)

On intel I would get the DFI RD600 board.

I have heard good reports about them.

AMD chipset??? This is the socket 775 section. DFI RD600??? Sheesh!

Abit IP35 Pro or Asus P5K Deluxe/Premium.

why would you want crossfire when even the best mobos are only 16 and 4 on the second slot?

best bet would be 975 chipset I would imagine if you have a chip with 8 or higher multi, at least those mobos are 8 and 8

may i ask why you want to run 2 power hungry under performing cards? or are new driver releses really helping that much.... (the crappy AA?)

may i ask why you want to run 2 power hungry under performing cards? or are new driver releses really helping that much.... (the crappy AA?)

What cards have been on the top 3dmark 06 charts lately? The HD2900XT

Some areas better than the GTX, and in other areas a little slower than the GTS. Over all the card is better than the GTS and cheaper than the GTX.

I only 3Dmark most of the time. Not on the big charts, only in forum boards. The HD2900PROs are what I'm going for soon.

Crappy AA is all the rage in 2007...

Seriously though, if he wants it then the hell with WHY he wants it. There's some guy in the NVIDIA section who wants SLI regardless of performance in comparison to a cheaper single card solution.

I think it's called a "fetish". :)

Some areas better than the GTX, and in other areas a little slower than the GTS. Over all the card is better than the GTS and cheaper than the GTX.

I only 3Dmark most of the time. Not on the big charts, only in forum boards. The HD2900PROs are what I'm going for soon.

all of that is true but only in benches, why pay that much money just to run a program and wait for a number, unless your going for top of the orb...

I think 975X is good. X38 motherboards are due VERY soon which have dual 16X (PCIE2.0)

like stated if you want it now... ur best bet would be a 975X chipset board (asus p5w dh comes to mind ... i love mine) as the 975x chipset does 8x and 8x instead of 16x and 4x... heck even anandtech says to go with the 975x or wait for the x38 if you wanna do crossfire.

anandtech said:
However, we highly recommend using a 975X or the upcoming X38 chipset for CrossFire as our upcoming comparison article will show.

from the second page of this review (posted on sept 21st 07)
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3107

LONG LIVE MY P5W DH!!!

like stated if you want it now... ur best bet would be a 975X chipset board (asus p5w dh comes to mind ... i love mine) as the 975x chipset does 8x and 8x instead of 16x and 4x... heck even anandtech says to go with the 975x or wait for the x38 if you wanna do crossfire.

from the second page of this review (posted on sept 21st 07)
http://anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3107

LONG LIVE MY P5W DH!!!

The P5W DH is pretty good if you need a motherboard right now. Otherwise wait for the X38/48 chipset motherboards.

If you truly want Crossfire, then ideally the upcoming X38 chipset is worth waiting for, in my opinion. They should start showing up next month.

THX for all the help guys!!

yeh i want to run 2 power hungry cards because i can and because i cba upgrading for quite a while. i dont care if nvidia's new 9000 series are coming out soon ive always had a mid spec machine that has run everything to date!!!

so when are these new X38 chipset boards out?? i think i read something that said they were out mid october??? plus what price range we looking at for these?? and i hope they arent just DDR3 cos all crossfire or SLI mobo's that first came out i found tended to be DDR2 which i dont have and obviously going to upgrade to.

thx again guys and what a mass of responses in just a short time :beer:

(edit) just seen this on pre-order on OCUK http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-092-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=946

Last edited:

and how oftenc an you play 3dmark, come one man, dont let 3dmark make the decision.. ATI has had fixed drvers for 3dmark since the fiasco and never got ride of them.

but if your in it soley for benchmarking, then go nuts.

All benchs i saw the GTS was on par with the x2900 and beating it most of the other times... and the GTX didnt even come into play as it was just better.....??

so when are these new X38 chipset boards out?? i think i read something that said they were out mid october??? plus what price range we looking at for these?? and i hope they arent just DDR3 cos all crossfire or SLI mobo's that first came out i found tended to be DDR2 which i dont have and obviously going to upgrade to.

The only motherboard I'm interested in is the Abit IX38, which is due for release on Oct 10 (or shortly after). Obviously, it'll be a couple weeks after the release before they pop up in stock at the retailers. Other brands will probably be out at around the same time (give or take).

I've heard prices will probably be in the $250 range at least initially.

Abit will offer a DDR2 version called the IX38 QuadGT and a DDR3 version called the IX38 Max.

Back