• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tape up leak?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ancalime

Hey guys I just finished this water cooling computer and it has a small leak in one of the CPU block and reservoir barbs. The leak is very small so I am wondering if I can just use some tape around the barb. I have already tried tightening the barb but it just won't go any further and it continues to leak. The leak is so small though that I didn't notice it for a full day and it hasn't dripped yet. Just the area around the barb is wet.

If tape is an acceptable solution, what kind of tape would be best. Could I just use Scotch tape? I am trying to solve this ASAP so I need help immediately please. Thank you.

I have that same problem...tho under my video card where if it ever does drip..it drips on case...i just leave it alone and touch it once a day to get the drop off it lol...i was thinking electrical tape but not sure how that does with water...plus its messy to use.

You might try to thread the barb with plumbers tape to see if thatll fix it. Even if you tape it with something like scotch tape it won't fix the problem.

If you don't want to take the barb out and put teflon tape on the threading, you might want to try epoxy putty. I had a VIA pump leaking like a son of a *****, so I worked the putty into every leaking area and let it dry. Leak was eliminated.

Good to hear.

Are leaks fairly common when initially setting up a watercooling system even if down right dow to the letter?

I wouldn't say so, if you're careful and take your time. If you do, and you still have leaks your components may be faulty or need to be tightened.

I have that same problem...tho under my video card where if it ever does drip..it drips on case...i just leave it alone and touch it once a day to get the drop off it lol...i was thinking electrical tape but not sure how that does with water...plus its messy to use.

IMO, you are insane. You knowingly have a leak in your loop and you leave it alone.

I have taken my loop apart several times and every time I leak test for 24 hours.

I teflon all fittings and use the screw type clamps. I don't trust any of those plastic ones, zip ties or clamps.

Not only is a leak a leak, it also means your loop is not 100% sealed. 100% sealed systems already naturally have build up. Having a leak is just asking for more.

--pak

Teflon tape... or any automotive thread lock / sealant on the threads should stop the leaks.
Leaks due to hose clamps are a different story.

If I have the space for WC again, I think I'm gonna try and use ONLY threaded connections... Because they seem to be more reliable long term for preventing fluid leaks.

Teflon tape... or any automotive thread lock / sealant on the threads should stop the leaks.
Leaks due to hose clamps are a different story.

If I have the space for WC again, I think I'm gonna try and use ONLY threaded connections... Because they seem to be more reliable long term for preventing fluid leaks.

I personally wouldn't want to use a thread lock of any sort. If you really want to, make sure you use a mild one that will come apart. Unless you don't mine things being stuck for ever.

--pak

haha, I work on my car so much these days... I figure if its good for 110+(mph) on the track with temps breaking 200F and pegging my gauges at 100psi -- Its gonna be fine for a WC setup.

As long as you can put a wrench on both sides, you can get it apart... Might take 30-40 ft/lbs but it does break free eventually.

Hey guys I just finished this water cooling computer and it has a small leak in one of the CPU block and reservoir barbs. The leak is very small so I am wondering if I can just use some tape around the barb. I have already tried tightening the barb but it just won't go any further and it continues to leak. The leak is so small though that I didn't notice it for a full day and it hasn't dripped yet. Just the area around the barb is wet.

If tape is an acceptable solution, what kind of tape would be best. Could I just use Scotch tape? I am trying to solve this ASAP so I need help immediately please. Thank you.

the problem you have is that you've tightened the barbs too tight, which caused the o-ring to squeeze out, which causes the leak. You don't have to tighten the barbs real tight, they just have to be tightened enough that if provides pressure on the o-ring to do it's magic.

I think i will fix it somehow..but if it drips at all..its on the case..and i never see it drip so i aint gona take the whole darn thing apart just to fix that...and who was the one who said dont put teflon on them in the first place!...i was putting it on then someone said o-rings should be fine! dah!

I think i will fix it somehow..but if it drips at all..its on the case..and i never see it drip so i aint gona take the whole darn thing apart just to fix that...and who was the one who said dont put teflon on them in the first place!...i was putting it on then someone said o-rings should be fine! dah!

If you have o-rings, then I wouldn't use teflon tape or any type of silicone. In that case, it would make sense to just remove the o-ring and use another sealer. Someone mentioned not overtightening the o-ring so that it seats well. Here is an example

oring.jpg

Thread locker, would mostly be a hasle if dealing with metal to metal, but could damage your waterblock if it has a plastic top. Removing the barb from plastic/delrin/polycarbonate etc... could strip the threads, if the lock-tite was stronger than the material.

I also would take your loop apart and fix it properly. Why chance hundreds of dollars in equipment over a half-hour fix? Things could improve, just as fast as they deteriorate.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really don't want to take everything apart because this PC is due tomorrow and it is really cramped in the case.

The barb is also one of those plastic ones, it does not have an O-Ring. I think I am going to use metal barbs from now on. I never had a metal barb leak on me while this is already the third time a plastic barb has.

I seem to have fixed the reservoir leak. All I did was give it one more quarter turn and it seemed to have stopped. I also tightened the Apogee a bit further and the leaking slowed down a bit, but it continues to leak.

I'm thinking I could just put some layers of electric tape covering the base of the Apogee barb. The water shouldn't leak through (it will probably just evaporate) and if I seal it tight enough, its still a closed loop per se. I guess I am just looking for the easy way out of this, but I really don't have many options.

The barb is also one of those plastic ones, it does not have an O-Ring. I think I am going to use metal barbs from now on. I never had a metal barb leak on me while this is already the third time a plastic barb has.

I seem to have fixed the reservoir leak. All I did was give it one more quarter turn and it seemed to have stopped. I also tightened the Apogee a bit further and the leaking slowed down a bit, but it continues to leak.

I'm thinking I could just put some layers of electric tape covering the base of the Apogee barb. The water shouldn't leak through (it will probably just evaporate) and if I seal it tight enough, its still a closed loop per se. I guess I am just looking for the easy way out of this, but I really don't have many options.

The Apogee does use an O-ring. If you don't have an O-ring on the barbs, then that is definitely the problem. If you have a res that doesn't use O-rings, then you should have used some teflon tape on them. I would definitely take the loop apart and make things right.

The Apogee does use an O-ring. If you don't have an O-ring on the barbs, then that is definitely the problem. If you have a res that doesn't use O-rings, then you should have used some teflon tape on them. I would definitely take the loop apart and make things right.

Yes I don't know what I am saying, it does have O-rings.

A little update, the leaking seems to have come to a spontaneous halt. Just in case though, I wrapped the entire barb area of the Apogee with this plumbing wrapping which is used to seal connections. I than added a zip tie over the wrapping and also placed some electrical tape over that. I think this problem should be solved.

Back