• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A slightly stupid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElGriton

I putting together a new box with a P5N-E. I'm going to use my WD 10k SATA drive to install Vista. When I installed XP-64 many moons ago I needed a floppy with special drivers for the drive. My question is, will Vista pick up the drive or will I need drivers for it? If I do, will they be included in the box or do I need to d/l them?

I putting together a new box with a P5N-E. I'm going to use my WD 10k SATA drive to install Vista. When I installed XP-64 many moons ago I needed a floppy with special drivers for the drive. My question is, will Vista pick up the drive or will I need drivers for it? If I do, will they be included in the box or do I need to d/l them?

I don't believe you will need special drivers. I recently installed 64bit Vista on a WD 10K SATA drive and had no problems and no request for special drivers.

AHCI-Advanced Host Controller Interface

If you set your sata mode to AHCI in BIOS then you need the F6 drivers just like you do w/ RAID. Setting your sata to IDE mode avoids this. I'm using AHCI, and have read that it is better, but I haven't done any kind of testing to say one way or the other.

I have installed Vista 64 on three 2 intel 965 chipsets and a p5 chipset, all three time I did not need Ahci drivers. Vista just installed.

Back