• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC using amonium nitrate and h20 mixture??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doctor M

Hey all, I am currently planning out my new WC rig I will be building. As I was looking at parts and cooling liquids I remembered a TV episode of Jericho where a woman made ice with ammonium nitrate, she actually used fertilizer. I did some research online and found out the mixture (usually 1kg AN to 1 Liter of h20) does create and endothermic reaction... Pulling heat from a thermally conductive material.

My idea would be one of the following...

Use the AN/h20 solution instead of water or other liquids, or...

Use h20 and submerge the rad in the h20/AN solution..

I think the first idea would work better, If anyone has any comments PLEASE reply id love to hear and experiences or criticisms.

PS here are a few links i found...

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jun99/929075573.Ch.r.html
http://medtech.syrene.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1057

You do realize that once the reaction has stopped, it warms up normally and doesn't get cool again?

nope i didnt think that, i just figured as long as there was heat to be pulled from somewhere it would continue to do it. well i guess that ideas been put to rest

Nope, the chemical reaction needs energy to happen and it pulls it in as heat energy. Once the reaction is completed, there is nothing pulling in heat energy anymore.

Though if it did keep getting cold it would be interesting to see the random ice balls floating in the ocean whenever some of this was tossed overboard. :eek:

Probably be a pretty good market in never warming up ice chests. :santa:

Nope, the chemical reaction needs energy to happen and it pulls it in as heat energy. Once the reaction is completed, there is nothing pulling in heat energy anymore.

Though if it did keep getting cold it would be interesting to see the random ice balls floating in the ocean whenever some of this was tossed overboard. :eek:

Probably be a pretty good market in never warming up ice chests. :santa:

Haha your post reminds me of cat in the hat in my hat is a cat in a hat

Back