• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA 36.7GB Raptors plug into 3.0GB/s SATA plugs tickeddy-boo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

ok, just to be sure.

I have two WD 36.7GB STA version 1 Raptors (1.5GB/s).

I will shortly be getting a new P35 mobo (prob Asus P5K) and want to run these Raptors as boot os drive(s) in RAID0.

The newer 3.0GB/s SATA plugs are compatible with the older 1.5GB/s plugs. Everything is everything, right?

can ICH5 do just a couple of measly SATA 1.5GB/s Raptors in RAID0 boot drive(s)?

can ICH5 do just a couple of measly SATA 1.5GB/s Raptors in RAID0 boot drive(s)?

No. You need ICH5R to do RAID.

I thought you were getting a new P35 board, though? Make sure whatever you get has the ICH9R SB, and not just the ICH9 SB.

yup, it will be a P35, P5K is P35, w/ ICH5 & a Promise RAID ctrlr too. The P5K and P35-DS3R are P35 both about %150, GB w/ ICH5R and no other, I think. At the point now where don't know if its advisable NOT to get $50-75 more out of bank for a mobo w/ no tales of woa. Don't know if these are real issues or can likely be worked out for me.

My current mobo Asus P4C800CE-D has ICH5R and a Promise RAID for a lot of HDD(s) each probably with 4 HDDs capability, and multi-RAID. Maybe for lots of HDDs or lots of RAID, or that &/or multi-RAID, or multi-multi-RAID. I don't know, never activated the Promise. I just bough tit because I wanted to oc for 1st time, and knew everyone was getting everything and telling me how.

Now what to do for a mobo? I've got 2 SATA 1.5GB/s 10K Raptors for os boot drive, a 7200 rpm Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 ATA100 80GB for file storage, a LG DVD+RW ATA, a floppy, and possibly (only if included) maybe one more HDD for other type of storage. Wanna oc a E6750 1333 cpu w/ 2*1GB Ballistix 6400s. I want onboard LAN, but I'll get a SB X-Fi. No Wi-Fi, firewire, other needed.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you get a RAID version of the P35 chipset, the southbridge will be ICH9R. I have no idea where you are getting ICH5 from. Go to any P5K Deluxe or Premium review article and check for yourself.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5k-deluxe_2.html#sect0

The plain vanilla P5K does not support RAID as far as I know, so the southbridge is ICH9 (no R).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5k_6.html#sect0
The JMicron controller on the plain p5K does support RAID, but I'd get a higher end version for the ICH9R chip to run RAID on that.

To reiterate, if you want RAID make sure you get the Intel ICH9R SB. There are many flavors of P5K (vanilla, -E, Deluxe, Premium to name a few), so it is important to be a bit more specific. Some of these have ICH9, and some have ICH9R. There is no Promise controller...that was on your old MoBo. The Asus uses Jmicron, and Gigabyte uses some proprietary controller.

It sounds like the DS3R may be what you want since you don't want all the bells & whistles.

Back