• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new to overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silway

Registered
I'm new to overclocking and am thinking about doing it when my new computer comes in. I was wondering whether a "(Quad-Core FSB1333) Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard" with a Q6600 Quad Core CPU and (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory would handle overclocking just up to 3 GHz?

Thanks!

Silway

Just add a nice heatsink like the Ultra 120 eXtreme and you'll be fine.
Are you planing to go sli ? just asking as the Intel P35 motherboards OC very well, if you have no plans for sli that is.

And :welcome: to OCF

Thanks for the welcomes and answers. As for SLI, I believe the answer to that is yes. I have two NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB 16X PCI Express cards, or will once the system arrives on Saturday. A lot of this stuff is very new to me.

For cooling I have a CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System (don't really know any model numbers or anything like that) and three additional case fans (not sure of size or rpm).

Thanks again!

Silway

I'd return those 2 8600 cards and get 1 8800. You'll get better performance, and it'll be a lot easier to setup...might be cheaper too. Send back the 650i, and get a P35 as well since you won't need SLI.

Just my $0.02.

Back