• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crap, power surge.. Now I need a new MB.. Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svirfnebli

I recently had a power surge that fried my beloved D975XBX board. It fried the ram, X-Fi Card, and soundblaster speaker system. While the board will load to windows and work OK, it's fried the Silicone Image circuitry to where it only intermitantly works. I believe my graphics card is OK still.

Soo, it give me an excuse to get a new mobo.

I figure I will buy a Q6600 chip and I have 4 gigs of DDR2 800. I had a X1900 crossfire edition and plan on buying another x1900 to run in crossfire mode.

Can anyone recommend a good mobo? Maybe a 95K or IP35? Will either handle crossfire with those cards? Do both run the Q6600 well? Are the decent OC boards? I dont go crazy OC'ing, but I do run water cooled so heat is not an issue.

My local frys has both the IP35-Pro and P5K deluxe (DDR2 version) in stock.

svirf

i say go for the abit IP35-Pro and dont look back, unless you can wait for the new x38/x48 based boards.

Sorry to hear that :(

If just between the two, I'd just get the IP35-Pro. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with either one, it all depends on your budget really. :)

i say go for the abit IP35-Pro and dont look back, unless you can wait for the new x38/x48 based boards.

Thank you very much for the reply!

Unfortunately I can;t be without a computer that long :< do you think the new chip sets are going to be that big of an improvement?

well x38 is suppose to offer higher ocing vs p35. already though P35 has set a high bar for ocing from the get go. really i think p35 based boards are great for the mid range esp if your just running a sinlge card setup. i dont see a need to buy a new board till socket b(1366 pin) which is gonna be Q3-08, thats bringing IMC/CSI to intels cpus.

like i said though get the ip35-pro and dont look back, great board for the money.

I have the XBX2. It's a kick *** board. Personally I wouldn't replace it with anything other than the DFI LanParty UT P35-T2R. It's a monster of a board and does an excellent job ocing quads. I'm actually getting ready to sell my xbx2 w/E6600 and get the DFI w/Q6600.

If money was tight and it wasn't something I could just save up for then the IP-35 Pro would probably be the next board I would get. It's rock solid and fairly easy to OC. It's cost effictive and gives you decent oc's w/o much fus.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would definitly get at least a good surge protector, or a decent small UPS.

I have the XBX2. It's a kick *** board. Personally I wouldn't replace it with anything other than the DFI LanParty UT P35-T2R. It's a monster of a board and does an excellent job ocing quads. I'm actually getting ready to sell my xbx2 w/E6600 and get the DFI w/Q6600.
based on that fact the DFI UT p35 costs 300 that means that when the X38/X48 comes out from dfi its going to be $400-$500. thats not what i call a deal reguardless of the options in the bios. i still havent oc any better in some cases over a ip35 board.

The IP35 Pro does not support cross fire as the OP requested though...

hmm well then he might need to consider a ATI based board. those are still 250+ about the only intel left atm is the 975X based boards.

Back