• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clear additive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Socket eh?

I'm changing my water and I want to have clear water running with UV blue coils. Is there a clear additive?

No no, I DON'T want it to glow, I want it to just look like water under UV, and the coils around the outside will be reactive. I have 4 UV cathodes in my case and all my cables are UV reactive. I have green swiftech addtive in there right now, and I don't like the ugly green glow.

As pak said, what do you want the additive to do? There are 3 main types of additives for water cooling, one for color, one for corrosion, and one for growth. Make sure you specify when asking a question.

Is your loop made of mixed metals (ie. copper and aluminum)? If so, you need some sort of corrosion inhibitor. Most people just use antifreeze, but I'm not aware of any that's clear.

For growth prevention, either pick up some iodine from a drug store, or else algaecide from a pet shop/aquarium store.

Other than that, just use some sort of distilled water.

I would still add a few drops of iodine and algaecide if nothing else (and it's all you really need - IMO). It's such a small amount compared to the rest of the loop I doubt you'll notice much color, if any. Do some research to find the minimal amount necessary for both and only use that much ...

yhst-65556269779593_1964_25530031

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pepcobi1.html

Two drops of that and you're good to go.

I would still add a few drops of iodine and algaecide if nothing else (and it's all you really need - IMO). It's such a small amount compared to the rest of the loop I doubt you'll notice much color, if any. Do some research to find the minimal amount necessary for both and only use that much ...

That is all I put in my loops. Iodine and algaecide. I no longer like the color anymore either.

--pak

An interior decorator or artist might notice a small color change but I doubt the average person will ...

lol. No I'm pretty sure it would take a chemist to tell the difference, seeing that there is none. <rimshot> :bday:

How about Primochill PC Ice. Its as clear as water and non-conductive as well.

Back