• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AB9 Pro C1 Post Error; Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nyforever

Registered
Configuration:
Abit AB9 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
2x 1g Crucial DDR2 533 RAM
2x WD SATA Raptor HDDs
ATi X1800XT
OCZ 700watt PSU

I bought this motherboard to upgrade to the Intel Core 2 Duo, and to upgrade my motherboard. After installing everything, I booted fine into BIOS to set up RAID. As soon as I hit "Save and Quit", the system shut off. I turned it back on, and it shut off again. It then turned back on automatically, and nothing was showing on the monitors.

It was a C1 Post Error. According to the website, it's causes are:
1. SPD value lost
2. graphic card error
3. DIMM slot damage
4. Over clocking issue

1) I don't know what the SPD value is, so I skipped this 'fix' :p
2) I replaced the videocard with a XFX Low-Profile videocard (in my Media Center PC), and that also didn't fix it.
3) I moved the 2 sticks to DIMM 2 and 4 slots, but didn't fix it. I took one out, and tried all 4 slots with EACH ram stick, and that still didn't work. I even tried another RAM (512mb Crucial DDR2 533 stick); that also didn't work.
4) I didn't even attempt to overclock, nor did I have time to (since it immediately shut off after saving).

I tried resetting the BIOS (jumper settings), but that also didn't work. I decided it could be peripheral problems, so I disconnected everything except the videocard, RAM, CPU/Heatsink, and PSU. That still didn't fix the problem.

I tried using my old CPU (Intel Pentium 4 Prescott Series), but that also resulted in a C1 post error. I haven't tried another PSU, but I doubt that's the problem.

What do I do?
*EDIT* I actually got something to show up on the monitor, and got into BIOS (just kept on turning it on and off)! As soon as I went into YGuru Utilities (Overclocking menu), the comp froze up and I had to manually shut it down. After which, it wouldn't display anything on the monitor and give a C1 post error again (note that I accidentally hit ENTER when selecting YGuru Utilities >.<).

Power off, unplug, push the on button, move jumper to clear cmos, take battery out, leave for an hour.
Battery back in, mover jumper back, use only one stick of ram, power on and go into bios, set your ram volts to 2.0 or 2.1 (havent looked up your ram) set up the raid and re-start. if working then put your other stick of ram back in.
9 times out of 10, C1 is to do with your ram.
Many Abit boards wont read the SPD timings of your ram right or feed it the right amount of volts so you have to set that part up yourself.

Last edited:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80061-11
That's the RAM I have (x2).
Voltage: 1.8V

I'll set the voltage to 1.8V >.>
EDIT: Computer still won't display anything. I turn the computer on, it shut off, then turned back on automatically shortly after. Nothing displays on the monitor, and it still says C1. This is with ONE RAM stick in the left DIMM slot (DIMM slot #1). *sigh* is it a dead mobo?

*EDIT*
I don't have that motherboard, but...The problem most likely centers around the memory. You have a processor that runs 333MHz FSB default plus Abit motherboards will put a little overclock on it by default, so that 333MHz is closer to 340MHz. But your memory is rated to run 266MHz. So you need a memory divider that runs the memory slower than the processor. Now I don't have that MB so I can't spit out the memory ratios it has, but I don't think it has memory ratios below 1:1. If that is the case your 266MHz memory is running 340MHz too. Now it has a good chance of doing it, but not with the default 1.80 volts it is most likely getting now.
What you really need is some decent DDR2 800 memory. It's very cheap right now, a decent 2 x 1GB kit.

So is this an alright RAM?
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

Last edited:
Hey mate, did you try 2.1 like I posted ?
And everything thats in the quote you posted is dead on the money, but it still may work with your ram at 333mhz (666DDR2) and 2.1 volts cas 5 (5-5-5-15) 1:1

If your not sure on any of the above please ask.

There is nothing wrong with the ram you have listed, though there is a lot that is better, it comes down to how much you want to spend.
Ive use the cas 4 Corsair XMS2 ram for a number of builds and have all was been happy with it.

The thing is, I cannot even boot into BIOS. As soon as I turn the computer on, I either get a C1 error and nothing on the screen, or instant reboot (then the C1 error). Also, even if I do make into BIOS (like I did very rarely), it freezes on me as soon as I enter uGuru Utilities to set the voltage, so I have to do a manual shutdown, which then results in a C1 error >.<

I tried this with multiple resetting CMOS (w/ jumper set to reset, w/o battery, and waited ~1 hour), and with both RAM (single; not both of them) in 2 slots (not all 4; however, tried 1,3 w/ 1 RAM stick, and 2,4 w/ the other RAM stick).

I just want something cheap and effective (in terms of RAM) that'll actually work w/ this mobo w/o this problem (before I even start overclocking it and whatnot). I'll prob. end up getting:
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
instead since a friend of mine is selling that (talked to him about buying it already for ~$40).

If only I can actually get into BIOS and have it not freeze on me...

well c1 has to do with ram not the motherboard. if its freezing in the bios it could be bad contact on the cpu or yet agian back to ram. that gskill ram you linked to is running in a abit ip35-e that im typing on atm. funny thing is i could up the volts to 1.95 and do ddr2-800 4-4-4-12 with no errors. this system is meant for stock in a sense but the cpu is oced to 2ghz,multi set to 6x on 333fsb.

Back