• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gigabyte DS3L motherboard owner, need help with overclocking...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingDiamond

I just built a new system...

Intel E6550 Core2 Duo CPU (2.33Ghz stock, 7 x 333 FSB)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard
ATI HD2600XT PCIe gfx card
WinTec AmpX PC2-6400 DDR2 800 Memory (2x1GB) 1.9V CL4-4-4-12
Corsair HX520W PSU

Anyway so it's all up and running and I got it overclocked to 7 x 430, or 3.0Ghz. I have the system voltages set on auto in the BIOS. The memory timings are set to 6-6-6-12 and running at 2.0 volts. The CPU shows 1.360V in CPU-Z and the Gigabyte EasyTune program shows 1.380V. The core temp is 28 degrees, I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon heatsink installed with a 120mm fan.

So I'm sort of confused by the BIOS settings for the memory because there is a setting for "System Memory Multiplier" and I have it set to "2.0" which makes the memory run at 860Mhz. The only other settings for the multiplier are 2.5; 3.0; 3.5; 4.0 but nothing lower than 2.0

So I don't get it, I thought I could somehow lower the multiplier so that I can keep the memory under 800Mhz but keep the FSB up higher so I can keep overclocking the processor. It seems like this is stopping me from overclocking any higher than 430Mhz because if I try to set the FSB to 435Mhz I get errors loading WindowsXP. I don't think this memory is capable of running at 870Mhz, it's only rated at 800Mhz.

So what are my options here? Is 3Ghz as far as I can push it? I thought I could reach 3.2Ghz at least, I have seen many sites online reach 3.6Ghz on air cooling.

Also I used the EasyTune program in Windows from Gigabyte to try to overclock it and I got it to 3.2Ghz but then when I reboot the system clears the BIOS because it can't boot three times in a row.

Unfortunately you are at the lowest memory multiplier. You are running 1:1 which is good. I know it says 2.0, but that is just how Gigabyte expresses the 1:1 setting. The problem is that you have a CPU w/ a very low multiplier of 7 (different than memory multiplier...don't let me confuse you). I'm not familiar w/ your particular RAM, so I don't know what it is capable of, but you are doing good to loosen the timings (maybe try 6-6-6-18?) to see if you can get more out of it. Most D9 based RAM would allow you to get well over 500FSB, but I don't think your RAM are D9 based. You may need to give your RAM more voltage, but I don't want you to fry them. You may need to send more voltage to your CPU, NB, or FSB as well.

I would suggest first that you ditch the EasyTune software, and try to OC via the BIOS. Try giving your RAM 2.1v, and see if that helps. If not try giving the CPU, NB, or FSB more volts. Don't be too afraid to max out the FSB, and NB (might be MCH or something like that in your BIOS) voltages at +0.3v. You need to be more careful w/ the Vcore (CPU) and Vdimm (RAM) voltages, though.

Back