• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to watercooling, looking for some input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BCash

Hey folks, been lurking for a while, and I've picked up a good deal of info, but was hoping I could pick your brains on something.

I'm putting together my first WC system, ordering a few parts a month...here's the shopping list that I've nailed down so far:

MM U2-UFO Case
PA120.3 Rad (If I can ever get one...4 weeks on back order so far)
MCP-655 pump
D-Tek Fuzion CPU block
Intel Q6600
Abit IP35 Pro mobo
Corsair HX620 PSU
eVga 8800GTS GPU (Haven't decided on specific model yet)
DD full coverage GPU waterblock

And I guess that's the relevant stuff. I'm looking to do a moderate overclock, but silence is my big priority,

Anyway, the big question is this: What, if anything, should I do for cooling for the mobo? I'm not averse to throwing a chipset block on the NB and/or SB, but would the loop be sufficient? Looking at pics of the mobo, there appears to be three heatsinks connected by pipes...if I'm pulling off two of them for waterblocks, where does that leave me with the third?

Greatly appreciate any input.

:welcome: to OC Forums, BCash. I will move this to the Water Cooling forum for you since it is the right forum for this advice and will give you better response.

I would not bother with adding any extra cooling to the chipset. Your CPU and GPU are what you should cool.

The heatpipe linked coolers on chipsets do a good job at cooling.

My suggestion for a block would be an Apogee GT or GTX over the fusion though.

Nice setup , I love that case .

For your GFX card dont waste $ on a Ko or superclocked version .

:welcome: to OC Forums, BCash. I will move this to the Water Cooling forum for you since it is the right forum for this advice and will give you better response.
Whoops, sorry about that. That'll learn me to pay better attention next time. :eek:

Is the benefit of the Apogee GT or GTX that much greater than the DTek? Reason I ask is that the DTek is currently sitting in a Purolator truck somewhere in town, ready to be dropped off today, and NCIX doesn't allow returns on WC items. I had done some reading here, and folks seemed to speak pretty highly of the DTek.

Thanks for the advice regarding the mobo, CGR. I suspected that no cooling was the way to go, especially since I'm only going to overclock a bit, but wanted to be certain.

Petra's Tech Shop (petrastech.com) has Thermochills in stock. Their service is great and their prices are good.

If you are using a multi block system you might be better off getting a MCP355. If you are willing to spend the extra cash get a replacement top as well. The MCP655 is arguably the best single block pump. Once you add a GPU block and a couple chipset blocks the MCP355 might perform better.

As was mentioned, don't worry about your NB and SB.

If silence is your priority, then the best pump for you is the MCP350 (9w) with Petras top. That would have been the quietest solution and is very noticeably quieter than the MCP655. (The MCP350 is also a very reliable pump and has not had the same issues as the MCP355 has). It all depends on how much of a silence freak you are. For me, the MCP655 drove me nuts, but I am the type that is running all yate loons at 4v ea on a controller. For you it may work fine.

If you are shelling out for a PA120.3, then do yourself a favor and use some undervolted d12sl-12 yates on it. The PA is the best rad on the market at low airflow. If you are going to run your fans closer to 12v, then you may as well save some money and go with a Swiftech MCR320 rad as the higher the airflow, the smaller the performance difference between the two.

Back