• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Flow advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Torlough

Registered
OK I am finished with the build. My temps run around 37C degrees overall for the CPU but sometimes I get one of the cor temps at 51C (The highest) My MB is a cool 6 C. I am not overclocking room temp was around 80 to 85 degrees F. I had a filter on the front fan drawing air in but it restricted the cool air coming in, I took it off.

I am not sure about the temp monitor program and might cet a better one I have no idea what my GPU temp is

I am wondering if I should be bringing cool air from the outside over my radiator or if my airflow is ok.

Here are pictures showing airflow and case closed.

Here is an image of my airflow and set up.
Air%20Flow.jpg

And with the cover

Closed%20Finished.jpg

i would definitely consider pulling air IN through the rad.

with your PSU, GPU and rear case fan all blowing out, that should easily match the flow in from 2x 120s (through a rad)

now as for the front fan, side fan and GPU vent ... these might take a little playing around with.

IMO blow out with every thing you've got except the rad and the GPU vent. this should produce "negative case pressure" and "suck" fresh (cool) air in through the GPU vent and or help pull air through the rad.

playing around is really the ONLY way to tell, just keep thinking "i want the coolest air possible getting to the hottest places" (rad/GPU) but never forget: NB, SB, memory, pump, hard-drive, and MOSFETS need cooling too ;)

GOOD LUCK!!

You have a lot more exhaust than intake. I would put a fan or two on the side to get more air flowing in.

A couple low rpm 120mm fans would be good. At least one fan but two would be better to equal out the pressure.

IMO blow out with every thing you've got except the rad and the GPU vent. this should produce "negative case pressure" and "suck" fresh (cool) air in through the GPU vent and or help pull air through the rad.
GOOD LUCK!!

The thing about negative case pressure is it makes your case a vacuum sucking in any dust/dirt that comes close. Its better to have more equal pressure or slightly positive IMO to avoid the vacuum.

The thing about negative case pressure is it makes your case a vacuum sucking in any dust/dirt that comes close. Its better to have more equal pressure or slightly positive IMO to avoid the vacuum.

TOTALLY true!!

but im a "function over fashion" kinda guy: maintenance and looks be damned, i want it COLD! :p

OK what if I had the Radiator Fans blowing in, that would be 2 120 fans blowing in but filterd through the Rad. have the back fan and the GPU blowing out, and replace the filter on the front intake fan.

I like the front fan bringing in cool air because it cols off the HD and the pump, while also bringing in cool air.

Do you think that will even out the pressure.

I really don't want to add another fan, 4 120 mm fans is noisey enough thank you, if I wante 6 fans why would I have even bothered with WC anyhow. I want to make the system I have work with best with the fans I have.

BTW, Doesn't the openings on the side help even the presure out by being non fan exhaust ports?

OK what if I had the Radiator Fans blowing in, that would be 2 120 fans blowing in but filterd through the Rad. have the back fan and the GPU blowing out, and replace the filter on the front intake fan.

I like the front fan bringing in cool air because it cols off the HD and the pump, while also bringing in cool air.

Do you think that will even out the pressure.

I really don't want to add another fan, 4 120 mm fans is noisey enough thank you, if I wante 6 fans why would I have even bothered with WC anyhow. I want to make the system I have work with best with the fans I have.

BTW, Doesn't the openings on the side help even the presure out by being non fan exhaust ports?

Turing the rad fans to intake will help even it out and may even make it slightly positive depending on their cfm.

If four 120's are loud then you may consider getting lower noise fans.

TOTALLY true!!

but im a "function over fashion" kinda guy: maintenance and looks be damned, i want it COLD! :p

That doesnt surprise me coming from a guy who uses dry ice to cool his chip ;)

Dry Ice 8-0. that is a bit far for me. Yeah I think my rad fans are teh culprate. Any suggestions for good low noise 120mm case fans? (No lights or other gimcks please.)

Well, the problem with getting quieter fans for your rad is you sacrifice CFM for noise.

What fans are you using on your rads now?

You could get a couple of these for the front and back of the case. May help lower their noise if its an issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999099

You could use them for your rad as well but not sure if what you currently have are more than 44CFM.

CFM oh man am I out of my element with that one. What is that. The fans I got with my Rad are the ones that came from this kit from Swifttech:

H20-220 APEX ULTRA Universal CPU Liquid Cooling kit. Not at home so I dont' know the info on the fans and those seam the loudest.

Case Fans =
Thermaltake 120mm Fan (Black/Red)
Max. Air Flow 78 CFM
Max. Air Pressure 2.97mm-H2O
Noise 21dBA

I think the Rad fans are the noisey ones I will check the specs. I noticed the low db on the Newegg ones got a couple of those and I am going to switch some things around.

Last edited:
CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. Its the amount of air the fan pushes.

Your fans are pretty good. 78cfm at 21 dba is a lot of cfm and low noise.

Chances are the majority of noise you hear is the air going through the rad or a vibration. Are their rubber washers or gromets between the fans and the rad?

Well those specs are for the case fans and not the rad fans.

I think I will order the New egg fans. Replace the Kit Rad fans with the

Thermaltake (78cfm) To bring air into the box, through the radiator (I will have to push and not pull due to the hose set up, oh well next build).

Use the ENERMAX UC-12EB (44 CFM) as the exhaust fans in the case at the back and front.

This should even things out because the radiator will block some of the air flow, I didn't put rubber washer on but will when I change the radiator fan airflow.

That should even out the air flow.

Or should I do it the other way around to create negative case preassure?

I am anti negative case pressure :)

Well at least huge neg case pressure. A little is ok.

I think if you have the front and rad fans as intake and the gpu,psu and rear fan as exhaust it should be ok.

Well I got home and saw that the fans that came with the Rad are a bit noisey:

Ruilian Science RDM 1225S CFM 76.9 with a DB of 38.

So the question is should I put the Thermaltake fans on the Rad (78 CMF at 21Db) and the Newegg fans (44CFM) on the case?

I am definatly getting rid off the Rulian Science fans DB is high and the air flow is less.

So the question is should I put the Thermaltake fans on the Rad (78 CMF at 21Db) and the Newegg fans (44CFM) on the case?
Stop screwing around. Less CFMs = loss noise = less cooling. Get two of these and put them on a rheostat. Then you can have it both ways.

"My MB is a cool 6 C. I am not overclocking room temp was around 80 to 85 degrees F. "

In an 80*F room your MOBO is at 6*c....6*C = 43*F. How are you cooling your MOBO to lower than room temperature?

Attachments

• Delta EHE.jpg
    Delta EHE.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 206
Well I got home and saw that the fans that came with the Rad are a bit noisey:

Ruilian Science RDM 1225S CFM 76.9 with a DB of 38.

I am definatly getting rid off the Rulian Science fans DB is high and the air flow is less.
I'd put the Thermaltake fans on the rad.

Personally I like the Scythe S-Flex fans: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scsf49cfms12.html
The "E" series should work well for your case fans. A little more expensive than the Enermax but they'll last forever with no hum when they start aging ...

Billb - Probably the Fan on the MB is cooling it down. Or the program I used isn't reading it correctly. Going to try another one. Not usre which is the best program for the money considering I don't Overclock (Yet). I just want to keep things cool, and have a unique computer that I did all by myself.

Well I put the Thermaltake fans on the Rad and the Ruilian Science on the case untill the neww egg fans arrive. I ordered them ThursdayShould be here today. I have 3 fans on Rhostat and 1 Fan huuked to the MB at 100% (The Exhaust Fan). I turn the rad fans up or down depending on the Temp.

WOW what an immediate improvement. Even though the fans are pushing through since it is outside air the Temp to the Core is a consistant 35 C. and the Core 2 that ran the hotest hasn't gone over 41 C. I am happy with the improvement and the noise (I have the Thermaltake on a rhiostate.

Thanks for all the advice Running alot cooler now (Room temp around 80 degrees during testing).

Last edited:
OK so after a few days of having the Rullian Scinece (44cfm) on the case and the Thermatke (74 CFM) on the radiators. and using this as my mane computer monitoring the temps I get teh following temps:

70 - 80 degrees non humid room temp - CPU Average of 38 C: GPU of 55 C
80- 85 degrees humid room temp - CPU from around 45 - 50 C: GPU 61 C

Are these temps considered acceptable ( just runing normal programs without OC anything)

I am toying with the idea of putting the 44 CFM fans blowing into the radiator and moving the 78 CFM fans to the case (Sucking in from the front and blowing out throught he back). I figure that the added CFM going out the back would help the lesser CFM draw more air thru the case.

Or should I just get two new Thermaltake and Ebay the quiter fans.

Sure I willl probably experment and see what temps I get but before taking the old girl apart again I wnated to see if anyone thought which would be a practical, and if it is even necessary.

Back