• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5N32-E SLI (Any objections)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sunrunner20

Masta Tweeka!
Speak now or forever hold your peace.
Just though I would start this post with a little comedy. However, lets be serious now. I plan on buying an asus P5N32-E SLI for the motherboard with my new system (CPU will be a q6600 C0) and I am wondering if anybody has any objections. I've read around, and I know that intel has a few things over this board, a bit of memory bandwith and a better NCQ implimentation. However, this board has the full dual 16x PCI-E slots. So, I am just wondering if there are any known better boards (excluding the striker).

I've seen several people struggling to overclock quad cores with the Nvidia chipsets. I'm one of those people that will say if you don't plan SLI, then go with one of the P35 chipset mobos instead.

Don't see why people have trouble, I have the board now and within 5 minutes I got it to 3.0 Ghz and I'm a noob to Ocing. Then my friend thats really good with Ocing got it to 3.37 stable(with a Q6600 with Tuniq tower and lots of fans). Thats almost a Gigahertz jump I know thats not really major or anything but its more overclockable than people give it credit for. And despite what people say about its overclocking its a GOOD benchmarker, article I googled compared a whole line of the 680,650 nvidias and eva 680i board and the Gigabyte p35 board and the pn532-3sli plus out performs them with the same setup in benchmarking. The p5n32-3 sli plus is a good gaming board. It's just really "snappy".

Do you have a link for that article? I have a hard time believing a 680i can beat out a p35. Yes, I've had both and have a 680i now (and love it :D).

Some of us with watercooling and other high end cooling don't consider 3 gig much to write home about. If you are happy with a modest O/C, then great. The 680i motherboard is right up your alley. Thideras and a few other benchmarking team members are successfully running eVGA 680i, but these mobos can be fussy and sometimes require a lot of tweaking. The hardcore folks are still sometimes having trouble with high overclocks with the quad cores. I'm firmly convinced there still is nothing more stable than Intel chipsets.

Don't see why people have trouble, I have the board now and within 5 minutes I got it to 3.0 Ghz and I'm a noob to Ocing. Then my friend thats really good with Ocing got it to 3.37 stable(with a Q6600 with Tuniq tower and lots of fans). Thats almost a Gigahertz jump I know thats not really major or anything but its more overclockable than people give it credit for. And despite what people say about its overclocking its a GOOD benchmarker, article I googled compared a whole line of the 680,650 nvidias and eva 680i board and the Gigabyte p35 board and the pn532-3sli plus out performs them with the same setup in benchmarking. The p5n32-3 sli plus is a good gaming board. It's just really "snappy".

3GHz is nothing for these core2 processor, I had an Asus P5N32E Sli Plus and although a nice board it's overclocking abilities are nothing to brag about. A cheap $130 GA-P35-DS3R (I owned this board too) will overclock better than the P5N32E especially when it comes to quads. It is also a known fact that P35 outperforms and runs better in almost every other sense. The P35 is WAY more overclockable, runs alot cooler, it is faster chip, and has better RAID than the NVIDIA RAID. The only reason why anyone should ever consider a 600 series board is for SLI, and I will also grant that their memory tweaking is also better than on Intel.

I'll second batboy here..... Abit IP35 or Asus P5K

3GHz is NOTHING for these core2 processor, I had an Asus P5N32E Sli Plus and although a nice board it's overclocking abilities are nothing to brag about.
A cheap $130 GA-P35-DS3R (I owned this board too) will overclock better than the P5N32E. It is also a known fact that P35 runs outperforms and runs better in almost every other sense. The P35 is WAY more overclockable, runs ALOT cooler, it is faster chip, and has better RAID than the NVIDIA RAID. The only reason why anyone should ever consider a 600 series board is for SLI, and I will also grant that their memory tweaking is also better than on Intel.

GTengineer, oc'ability depends on the processor, not the board. I had a P5N32 and i could run my 6420 at 3.6, just how i can run my 6420 at 3.6 on this board.

I've run my 6420 on a P5N32, a Q6600, a E4300, and a E6750.

They all performed the same on both boards.

The P5N actually has better performance because I had to VDroop mod my IP35 because it had worse it only has 4-phase power as compared to the P5N32 which has 8 phase.

Please don't base all your results on biast reviews...

Also, the Plus has the 650i chipset, not the 680.

Last edited:
3GHz is nothing for these core2 processor, I had an Asus P5N32E Sli Plus and although a nice board it's overclocking abilities are nothing to brag about. A cheap $130 GA-P35-DS3R (I owned this board too) will overclock better than the P5N32E especially when it comes to quads. It is also a known fact that P35 outperforms and runs better in almost every other sense. The P35 is WAY more overclockable, runs alot cooler, it is faster chip, and has better RAID than the NVIDIA RAID. The only reason why anyone should ever consider a 600 series board is for SLI, and I will also grant that their memory tweaking is also better than on Intel.

yeah when i had a P5N32-E SLI Plus i couldnt get a e6700 pass 3ghz.

you cant go wrong with a IP35 Pro.

GTengineer, oc'ability depends on the processor, not the board. I had a P5N32 and i could run my 6420 at 3.6, just how i can run my 6420 at 3.6 on this board.

I've run my 6420 on a P5N32, a Q6600, a E4300, and a E6750.

They all performed the same on both boards.

The P5N actually has better performance because I had to VDroop mod my IP35 because it had worse it only has 4-phase power as compared to the P5N32 which has 8 phase.

Please don't base all your results on biast reviews...

Also, the Plus has the 650i chipset, not the 680.

Sorry but that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard on this board to date :rolleyes:. Overclocking starts with a GOOD MOTHERBOARD. This is something any veteran overclocker knows. Just because two processors you had reached the same speed with two different boards doesn't mean the mobo plays no role in overclocking. Of course the cpu is also important but that doesn't mean the choice of mobo is just to be dismissed.

Tell that to these folks trying to overclock their Q6600's on the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus. I bring up the 650i because it was what the previous poster brought up and I responded to initially.

650i
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=526655&highlight=asus+p5n32+plus
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=526996&highlight=Asus+P5N32-E

680i
treatmentx who had a P5N32-E (680i) before he switched to the EVGA 680i A1 which is one of the few 600 boards that actually seems to overclock these quads well.

BTW I know the Plus is a 650i ..... I owned it remember? I am basing my conclusions on the fact that I have OWNED both the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus AND two different P35 boards.

Last edited:
I think the point here is what board is good for a quad core. All you have to do is a simple search and then start keeping statistics. You will find the P35 overclocks better than the 680i on average.

Well, just ordered the P5K premium. I figure it will be useful having wifi available in my room for my laptop. Too bad people have SATA issues. I just hope I am not one, people seem to be having good luck with Seagate. Good thing I refuse to buy anything but seagate then.

Back