• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xfi and p5k problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

i decided to try out my xfi instead of running onboard sound and it worked for a bit .. then i got nothing my static .. so i shut my pc down .. then when i tried to start it back up .. it would power on .. but no video to the screen .. reset the cmos and everything but no video .. took the sound card out and now its running fine ..

any ideas ?? and im screwed and stuck with onboard sound ?

Had the same issues with my old P5K. It goes away whenever I remove my oc tho. The xfi works fine with my P5B, and my roommates Audigy works fine on my P5K. I'm guessing the board doesnt like the card. Strange isnt it.

the card worked fine in my 680i board for a long time .. i guess ill try and install it again and see what happens ...

i hope it works or im stuck with onboard sound

i decided to try out my xfi instead of running onboard sound and it worked for a bit .. then i got nothing my static .. so i shut my pc down .. then when i tried to start it back up .. it would power on .. but no video to the screen .. reset the cmos and everything but no video .. took the sound card out and now its running fine ..

any ideas ?? and im screwed and stuck with onboard sound ?

I had a similar, thought not exactly the same, problem that you have described here. I have a P5K E WiFi board(0503 BIOS) and XFi Extreme Gamer(Latest Driver 2.15.0003). One day when the machine was booted, I heard the hissing static sound coming from my PC speakers(Logitech Z4). I was very puzzled. I disconnected the speaker plug to the sound card, then re-plugged it in there. Still the hissing sound! So I rebooted the machine, and then the hissing sound was gone!

That just happened to me once, and I have never had the unable-to-boot problem happening to me, which you have described here. Not yet, at least.

Something else I have found about the P5K E Wifi and the X Fi ExtremeGamer is that if I check the "automatically enable headphone setting" under the tab of "Headphone Detection," the speaker won't have any sound, after the headphone is pulled from the jack! But if I do NOT check the afore-mentioned option, everything works fine! The speakers still have sound, after the headphone has been disconnected from the jacks.

Some compatibility issue between the board and the sound card?

Also, I've read here as well as on Asus's Forum of people complaining about the hissing static sound or the stuttering sound from the onboard sound. But I am not using the onboard sound. And that hissing static sound thing still happened to me once!

Fortunately, it was gone after a reboot and has not happened again so far. But, of course, I have only had the board for three days!

I am writing to share my experience in this respect with you.

Happy computing!

I swear I am happy I have kept my audigy 2 zs all this time, if I buy another sound card it will not be from creative.

This seems not to be an Creative problem but an Asus p35 chipset clonflic with the sound cards, as far from performance Creative xFi cards are very good specially when it comes to gamming.

I just searched up this thread, because I tried booting my PC at 450mhz x 8, and I got this crazy hissing sound. I rebooted, turned down my OC, and here I am, playing music ifne.

Back