• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does this look? Grade my homework :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaDNe55

Sup eveyone. New to the forums. So anyways, I am building a new system that will consist of:

Abit IP35 Pro
E6750
CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Evo... ... Black
Corsair 620HX
This G.Skill Ram

My Goals:
Looks, quietness, and to OC the e6750 to 3.2 - 3.4 ghz and play Enemy Territory: Quake wars without my CPU overheating :beer:

Now I've never watercooled before but I did quite a bit of research and almost everyone agrees on these parts:

CPU Block D-Tek Fuzion $60.00
GPU Block Swiftech MCW60 $45.00
Radiator Swiftech MCR320 $48.00
Pump Swiftech MCP655 $80.00

Using a Tee or using a Reservoir is a bit controversial. I like this look of the Ek-Res150 . I'm willing to dish out the $40 to making filling/bleeding easier and for the aesthetics.

... and Silver Tygon Tubing. I have no idea how many ft I will need but its about $2.25 per ft.

That should run me about $273 for all the water cooling parts + tubing and misc hardware.

Oh and I will also get this to control a few 120mm fans and monitor temps/power in real time: Zalman mcf2 :santa:

What do you guys think? :confused:

You would be able to do get your the e6750 to 3.4 without watercooling just to let you know. I'm running mine at 3.2 right now, and it only got to like 48 peak, and I didn't even lap anything.

Also why such expensive memory? It seems no different than the Crucial Ballistix yet is almost twice more expensive.

You also didnt mention which video card.

You would be able to do get your the e6750 to 3.4 without watercooling just to let you know. I'm running mine at 3.2 right now, and it only got to like 48 peak, and I didn't even lap anything.

Also why such expensive memory? It seems no different than the Crucial Ballistix yet is almost twice more expensive.

You also didnt mention which video card.

Yeah, but 100% air cooling would fore go my goal of having a very quiet PC. I keep my PC in my bedroom and I'd like to cut down the noise of my current set up by at least 1/2.

The memory... That one is still pretty much in the air with me. I was actually contemplating getting the Ballistix just because Newegg has such a great price on them right now. But the orange heat spreaders are hideous. I think the G.Skill HZ is a slight better RAM and DEFinitley better looking. But at half the price I just might get the Crucials.

My choice of Video Card is still up in the air too. It might not be until 2-4 weeks before I order a video card. I really dont want to spend more than $200 dollars at this time on one. What overclocks best water cooled and is under $200?

you can pony up a little more for the video card and get the 8800gts 320mb, you can find used ones for ~240, or just buy a retail one for like 270ish.

Doesn't watercooling still need fans though? It wouldn't be totally silent either. You can get the yate loon fans everyone raves about, they are suppose to be super quiet. You'd easily hit 3.4 with a ultra-120 extreme or even ultima-90 with a yate loon 120mm fan.

you can pony up a little more for the video card and get the 8800gts 320mb, you can find used ones for ~240, or just buy a retail one for like 270ish.

Doesn't watercooling still need fans though? It wouldn't be totally silent either. You can get the yate loon fans everyone raves about, they are suppose to be super quiet. You'd easily hit 3.4 with a ultra-120 extreme or even ultima-90 with a yate loon 120mm fan.
You could easily hit 3.4 with the Ultra 120 extreme ;) I'd say shoot for 3.6-3.8 :D

You could easily hit 3.4 with the Ultra 120 extreme ;) I'd say shoot for 3.6-3.8 :D

Heh ok 3.8ghz then :beer:

The main thing, however, is for my rig to be quiet. If going to 3.4 ghz means turning the rpms on the few 120mm case fans I use then so be it. I'd like to try and get away with only 2-3 120mm fans. One on top or back. One in the front and one on the side. But I just dont know until I get everything set up.

As for the video card. I really only want to dish out enough for a 7900gs or x1950xt. I just dont know. I might even say F it and get an 8800gs 320. But I am very hestitant to spend that much on a video card after spending so much on everything else :) The only game I am playing right now is ET: Quake Wars and that runs OK on my 9800 pro :) Hmm.. but when does Crysis come out? :drool:

November 10th or something, long time. The 8800 GTX killer comes out Q1 2008 according to rumors. Yea try to find a video card for around $100 I would say. Buy used.

Last edited:
Ok, I'd have to say VERRY good choices there, it should run flawlessly. I have the ram you listed, and even with my MB undervolting it It was running at 1000mhz wthout a hitch.

Oh, and the 8800gts 320mb is killer for the money now. If you have water, they can OC quite well and probably keep up with the 8700 that's coming out in a few months. Also, if you go EVGA you can step up if need be.

Also, like the fan controler. PM me after you get it and tell me how it does because I may replace my Thermaltake with one.

This advise might be too late, but dump the water cooling and put more money into the Video Card. I bought my 8800GTX when it was the champ for around $550 and it still rocks. Crysis is about the only thing I can't run at max setting on my Dell 30" monitor. I have a friend who keeps pushing me to water cool, but nothing in my computer runs hot but the farking video card. He even bought me a sweet Switech CPU block/pump for Christmas. My CPU runs 48degrees at 3.25GHZ at max load. Why would I want ot water cool? I prefer playing to tinkering. I think he enjoys tinkering more than palying.

Yeah, but 100% air cooling would fore go my goal of having a very quiet PC. I keep my PC in my bedroom and I'd like to cut down the noise of my current set up by at least 1/2.

The memory... That one is still pretty much in the air with me. I was actually contemplating getting the Ballistix just because Newegg has such a great price on them right now. But the orange heat spreaders are hideous. I think the G.Skill HZ is a slight better RAM and DEFinitley better looking. But at half the price I just might get the Crucials.

My choice of Video Card is still up in the air too. It might not be until 2-4 weeks before I order a video card. I really dont want to spend more than $200 dollars at this time on one. What overclocks best water cooled and is under $200?

Back