• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Waterblock for Quad-Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I have a Swiftech Storm Heavy Duty, and it does fairly well with my e6400, although, I heard that the Swiftech Apogee GT is much better... I've been outa the loop a bit with things, but is the Apogee GTX the way to go?

Basically, I have an e6400 but plan to go quad-core fairly soon... I have an EK 8800gtx waterblock on the way, so I gotta take my waterloop apart anyway... and, since I wanna go quad-core soon, I figured why not kill two birds with one stone and replace the Storm CPU block... should I just buy a GTX now, or is the Storm better / just-as-good??

i was looking at this @ newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...le-_-Water+Cooling-_-Swiftech+Inc.-_-35108099

Thanks in advance.

GTX and Fuzion seem to be the favorites. Nik has proven the FUzion to out perform all with a bowed block and nozzles that will never come out.

BUT! I would hold off if you can. Nik has done a mod to the storm, fuzion, and GTX. He is guess the storm will out perform the other 2. Look a few threads down.

--pak

than the storm? HOW much better. :D

Well Fuzion>gtx not by much.

With my storm at 1.35vcore, I was hitting 75c.

Fuzion I max out at 72c with 1.5vcore.

The storm is really not designed well for c2x's IHS procs.

--pak

Well Fuzion>gtx not by much.

With my storm at 1.35vcore, I was hitting 75c.

Fuzion I max out at 72c with 1.5vcore.

The storm is really not designed well for c2x's IHS procs.

--pak

so i've heard, but 75c at 1.5v? i didn't break the mid 60s celcius with 1.6+ volts on my e6400 a few months ago... i swear.....

Another factor to think about is the pressure drop created by the Storm when compared to the Apogee GTX or FuZion blocks. When you start building a multi-block system that might play a factor.

so i've heard, but 75c at 1.5v? i didn't break the mid 60s celcius with 1.6+ volts on my e6400 a few months ago... i swear.....

I am still trying to work out the kinks of my setup, but one thing is for sure that there is a huge difference in temps from c2d to c2q.

--pak

Well you do have twice the number of cores and therefore twice the TDP

But is it double the heat out put?

The thing I did notice about my quad was my water temps went up as well in P95. Before my quad, I never saw more than 1c diff from ambient. Now I can get a lil more than 2c above ambient. So there definitely is a lot more heat coming from the CPU and not just a bad mount or something like that.

Maybe another thread needs to be made with peoples results.

--pak

Another factor to think about is the pressure drop created by the Storm when compared to the Apogee GTX or FuZion blocks. When you start building a multi-block system that might play a factor.

That is a key factor for me right now, as I have an EK Waterblock on the way to me for my 8800GTX.

So my best choice of a replacement CPU block is what, Apogee GTX or this Fuzion (never heard of til now)?

Found the D-Tek Fuzion at jab-tech, here. Okay, so it's the same price as the Apogee GTX... now how do I make my decision =/
The ONLY reason I see getting the Apogee GTX is that newegg gets stuff to me in 1-day, and I'm in a rush...
*edit* I take that back... I think newegg's shipping the GTX's from CA and not NJ... cuz it's not estimating 1-day when I check...

Last edited:
what is BOWED? is all i need that link i showed at jab tech?

what is BOWED? is all i need that link i showed at jab tech?

Bowed is making the mounting surface slightly bowed to force more mounting pressure to the center of the IHS. What people are doing are adding an o ring between the layers forcing the mounting surfaced to be slightly bowed more.

Since the nozzles are not out yet, all you can really get is the block. If you want to bow the block more, all you need is an oring.

Only other thing I would suggest getting while you are at jab tech is a back plate if you don't already have one for your 775 mobos. I forgot to order one when I ordered my fuzion.

--pak

Bowed is making the mounting surface slightly bowed to force more mounting pressure to the center of the IHS. What people are doing are adding an o ring between the layers forcing the mounting surfaced to be slightly bowed more.

Since the nozzles are not out yet, all you can really get is the block. If you want to bow the block more, all you need is an oring.

Only other thing I would suggest getting while you are at jab tech is a back plate if you don't already have one for your 775 mobos. I forgot to order one when I ordered my fuzion.

--pak

i'm guessing i don't have a back plate... i don't even remember... why would they sell the block without a back plate?? i'm assuming it works without one, and the back plate is just optional to support a better mount?

i'm guessing i don't have a back plate... i don't even remember... why would they sell the block without a back plate?? i'm assuming it works without one, and the back plate is just optional to support a better mount?

Yeah, I am not using one ATM. I hard mount and would like to tighten mine down harder, but Im afraid of cracking my mobo.

--pak

My GTX handles my quad nice, 3.7ghz 1.5v, hottest core runs around 50c crunching, about 5c more using prime.

My GTX handles my quad nice, 3.7ghz 1.5v, hottest core runs around 50c crunching, about 5c more using prime.

that sounds quite nice... my storm could almost do that, but i wanna lessen the pressure on the loop...

i just wanna have everything i need as soon as i order the block... if the diff between the blocks is 1-2C i don't care... just want it all ordere tonight. :)

Back