• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

locking up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

etrosclair

Registered
my comp locks up under load, ie. games or scandisk. i can surf the net all day long with no probs. when i try to o/c it gets worse. the more i push, the worse it gets. could it be the psu... what's recommended for o/cing a duron 700???

ok, i used prime95 and highest temps went to 48 & 38.load or no load the temps do not fluctuate much. when i boot it's around 42 & goes up to 48. i let asusprobe run in the background and found something interesting... 5v dips to 3.7v and lasts for around 5 sec. this only happens every 2 or 3 minutes, but it does it consistently. any advise? my comp. locks up pretty much every time it shuts down with blue screen and vxd is the issue. whats up with that? do i need to reinstall windows 98?

Forget about it. A duron 700 eats more watts than a T-Bird 900.

- Check your Temps, if the CPU temp gets over 50 degrees, GET A BETTER HEATSINK
- However, random reboots, crashes and so on are pretty typical on a system with an underpowered PSU. Consider this

Random Reboots are caused by either weak PSUs or defective RAM sticks. If you dont get random reboots at low speeds, does this mean that your RAM is ok - conclusion, PSU is too weak.

Try lowering CPU and RAM voltage - It'll help you until the new PSU arrives

If programs lock up when you are just start them or close them, your PSU may be too weak as well. Its because weak PSU dont put enough amperes to support a "transient" state

If you got anything below 300W, get a new PSU. AMD cpus are VERY power hungry

1. hsf is aoc model ec-cub-625. it is a copper bottom heatsink. today i bought a enermax 350w psu and reloaded win98. i should be ready to go. i added 1 case fan and will add a slot cooler tomorrow(no place for the second fan). temps are 32 & 44 and my unit has been running for about 6 hours now...

Back