• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus xD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
by looking at the specs what is the difference between the Asus Blitz Extreme and the asus maximus extreme??? just that one supports ddr3 and the otherone ddr2???

Blitz is P35 chipset Maximus is X38.

Blitz Formula and Maximus Formula run DDR2
Blitz Extreme and Maximus Extreme run DDR3.

It's hard to tell, X38 isn't out yet and all we've seen are a few reference and beta board previews/reviews. X38 probably has a slight edge in performance, but it's probably not going to be too drastic. X38 may clock better, but most notably, it adds 16x+16x for graphics cards finally, PCIe 2.0 and should be even more optimized for DDR3.

As for the Asus ROG boards, I just don't know if they're going to be worth the premium price over non-ROG Asus X38 boards (P5Es). I guess all we can do is wait and see if they clock a lot better or if you're just paying for more bling and spaced out PCIe slots :shrug:

another question now that this boards are coming just with crossfire, that means that a double ati card will run better than a single 8800 gtx??

I am not sure what you mean by "run better", but until the X38, the second PCIe slots have run at a fraction of the bandwidth of the primary slot and in some cases, the primary slot lanes were cut as well when a second card was installed. With the exception of older ATI cards, CF already runs "better" than a single 8800GTX and CF should finally run at full capacity for both cards on the X38 because of the added lanes. As to the ultimate output in terms of scores/FPS, that would really depend on the cards used in CF, but a pair of 2900XTs or 2900 Pros will walk any single nV card and should give dual 8800s in SLi a run for their money as well. I guess we'll see soon enough ;)

The Blitz's have been for sale outside the U.S. for like 2 months. My guess is that seller is an importer/exporter also given all the flags in that ad ;) There's hardly any Blitz boards here except for people with connections or that were purchased from overseas. There are none at the normal retailers, though I heard at least one etailer was going to get a "limited supply" eventually. Either way, it almost makes no sense to spend the $$ on a Blitz now with X38 due out in the next week or two.

so which maximus should i get the formula or the extreme? i think the only difference is that one suppport ddr2 and the other one ddr3...

Yep, that's the only difference and I guess it depends if you want to run DDR2 or DDR3 as to which one to get. I don't know what your budget is, but DDR3 is just ridiculously priced right now and would add a sizeable cost to the build/upgrade.

Back