• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI x1900+Tyee woe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekko

I just redid my loop and replaced my Fusion HL block for a Tyee but it seems I get really bad contact with the gpu and also partial contact with a few ram(that I can live with). I was wondering if taking off the shim would be a valid option as I would really want to avoid having to take the block out of the loop.

I remember back in during the 9800Pro/XT days and the DD blocks we remove the shim to have the block make better contact with the core. The downside was sometimes the core would get crushed thus killing the card instantly.

Have you tried reseating that Tyee block?

I tried 4 times already and still about 20-25% GPU/block contact, tried once with white goo to see how much I would need to have a 100% contact on both sides and well let me put it that way I use less toothpaste to brush my teeth. I can take the card off easy but removing the block will be a pain so I'm trying to avoid that so that's why I want to know if removing the shim might help.

Last edited:
Ok managed to get the block out of the loop tried about a dozen reseat with card and block only and here is the best contact I've managed with a normal amount of TIM:

shim turned out to be not the problem at all and there seem to no components preventing good contact so RMA? I can see the sun shine between the block and the chip...

I'd suggest you put the thinnest layer of veg oil on the shim, and place the cooler on there again, but carefully & do the gpu last. This will show you if there is any shim contact, as the oil residue will be evident on the copper if it ever touches.

Tried your idea HiProfile (just not with oil) and I have no shim contact, checked with a razor blade and the core is higher then the shim.

I've contacted my vendor for RMA and knowing then it shouldn't be a problem if not I'll contact DD.

Last edited:
Yeah, i was gonna suggest you RMA back to your vendor. That block looks to be defective from the manufacturer. Lucky it did'nt kill your card from lack of cooling.

Well good news! RMA number confirmed(Took a little bit to get DD to confirm that the product was indeed defective) so within a fewday I'll hopefully get a working bock back.

Back