• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of Going Water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White_Pawn

Hey guys, its been almost 2 years now, of being a computer enthusaist, and i think its fair to say that i'm almost ready for water. (all except for having a the money to fund for my little project.) I'm only cooling cpu for now.

Anyway, i'm getting a swiftch storm block and a dual 120mm radiator (not that good but i can live with it for awhile.) I'm getting tubes and clamps and aquarium-grade algaecide from homedepot, so the only two questions left.

1. What is a good price/performance/noise pump? I know tyreal says getting a good pump like his $100+ swiftech one is a good idea, but is there anything slightly cheaper?

2. Do i need a resevoir? I know it'll be easier changing the water with a res, i've also heard something about not worrying about air getting trapped in the tubes with a res.

For solution, i'll be using distilled with some poisonous algaecide from tyreal. Although having somje of those coloured solutions also appeals to me. I've seen a purple/green/blue ones. Are those any good?

All opinions welcome. :beer:

Well, he is right about the pump. Not the piece you want to skimp on.

Low cost:

http://www.crazypc.com/products/hydor_l35-9339.html

Higher but under $100:

http://www.crazypc.com/products/9336.html

I prefer a t-line to a res. Its all a matter of preference.

A res is harder to bleed as far as i know. And for air in the tubes, that will happen no matter what you do and will need to be bled out.

I would be careful about mixing dyes with that algecide you want to use. Never know what will happen.

Personally I use distilled water and purple ice. Never had the need for anti algae specific liquids.

For the pump:

$75, but a very good pump

http://www.petrastechshop.com/lad5smcin12v.html

If you want to use a t-line or a reservoir depends on how much room you have. If you have room, I would go for using a reservoir. You can get one that goes in one of your bay drives if needed. Also if you don't have room, a T-line works well. But it makes the system hard to bleed. (bubbles and all)

A system with a res is harder to bleed than a t-line. With a t-line you can get the air pockets out by tilting the case almost 90 degrees if your t-line is long enough. You cannot do that with a res.

Even with a res your gonna get bubbles in the rad most times.

If you're using 1/2" tubing get a copper 1/2x1/2x3/4" T and use 3/4" line for your T-line. Not only do you get about half the storage (per 1' of tubing) of a MicroRes but bleeding is much quicker, too. Very few bubbles get past the 3/4" part of the T. It also helps if your tubing leaves the T going (at least slightly) downhill - it slows the bubbles down even more ... :)

Back