• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah looks good

Should be able to hit 3.6GHz assuming the Ninja is up to the job, I am not very familiar with that cooler.

Alright, picked up my Q6600 SLACR locally today, Batch # L727B159, pack date 09/08/2007. Still waiting on the rest of the gear.

You may need/want to get the Ultra 120 extreme cooler to replace the Ninja. But give the Ninja a try first, see if you like where your temps are at and then evaluate your options. Also, I seem to remember that you have a big typhoon laying around...that could be a viable option as well.

I wish I could fit an Ultra 120 extreme into my case....:beer:

500w is a bit low for an 8800gtx and a quad core isn't it? especially if you are ocing
I believe that the "need" for huge wattage is mostly a myth, and that my 500W PSU is enough. Every test I've seen puts a system like mine at around 400-450W at FULL load.

For example:

behardware tested the following configuration
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
nForce 680i SLI EVGA
2 GB DDR2
1 SATA2 HDD
IMG0020147.gif

With the 8800GTX, the max draw was 314W AT THE WALL, with 85% efficiency, that would mean the system was only drawing 267W.

neoseeker tested the following configuration
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe @ 3.0GHz (333 MHz * 9) processor
Asus P5B Deluxe / Wifi-Ap motherboard
2 * 1024 MB Corsair's XMS2-5400UL DDR2-667 5-5-5-15/2T
OCZ GameXStream 850W power supply
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA hard drive
power%20draw.png

With the 8800GTX, the max draw was 298W AT THE WALL, with 85% efficiency, that would mean the system was only drawing 253W.

Tweaktown tested the following configuration
Processor(s): Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3GHz (333MHz x 9)
Motherboard(s): ASUS P5K3 Deluxe (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: 2 X 1GB Corsair XMS3 DDR-3 1066MHz 7-7-7-21 (Supplied by Corsair)
Hard Disk(s): Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA-2
asusbb_g_18.gif
With the 8800GTX, the max draw was 307W AT THE WALL, with 85% efficiency, that would mean the system was only drawing 261W.

OK, so none of those systems is a quad core, or OC'ed as high as I plan to go. So let's see, 3.0GHz dual core to 3.6GHz quad core, I think an extra 80W should cover the difference, make it 100W for good measure. Also my GTX is OC'ed to about Ultra levels, comparing the graph from Tweaktown, I'll add an extra 28W (33 x .85 for PSU heat losses). I'll add an extra 15W for the extra RAM, 10W for each of my 3 extra HDDs...that's about it.

So total it up - (253-267)+100+28+15+10+10+10=426-440W or about 501-518W at the wall.

My Enermax should be good for 500W, or about 625W at the wall (at 80% efficiency). So, while I am almost at my limit...it should be stable even when everything is running at full load.

You may need/want to get the Ultra 120 extreme cooler to replace the Ninja. But give the Ninja a try first, see if you like where your temps are at and then evaluate your options. Also, I seem to remember that you have a big typhoon laying around...that could be a viable option as well.

I wish I could fit an Ultra 120 extreme into my case....:beer:
The Big Typhoon is cooling the Opteron 165 in my HTPC now. But, I could get another, they are really cheap. Or, like you said, I could go to the TR Ultra 120 Extreme...that's what I'm leaning towards.

The Big Typhoon is cooling the Opteron 165 in my HTPC now. But, I could get another, they are really cheap. Or, like you said, I could go to the TR Ultra 120 Extreme...that's what I'm leaning towards.

ahhhhh...IC, so Big Typhoon is already in use. Well, the best air cooler around right now that I know of is the Ultra 120 extreme so I am glad you are considering this.

I know that noise is a large concern of yours (unlike me :) ) but even with low rpm fans the Ultra 120e should out perform your Ninja if you are unhappy with the temps you get from your quad/ninja combo.

My Enermax should be good for 500W, or about 625W at the wall (at 80% efficiency). So, while I am almost at my limit...it should be stable even when everything is running at full load.
Here's another new one from PC Perspective
CPU - Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
Motherboard - EVGA nForce 680i Motherboard
Memory - 2GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C4
Hard Drive - Western Digital Raptor 150 GB
Sound Card - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value
Power Supply - PC Power and Cooling 1000 watt
power.jpg

With the 8800GTX, the max draw was 336W AT THE WALL, with 85% efficiency, that would mean the system was only drawing 285W.

I don't think u'll hit 3.6 ghz with a sycthe... its a g0 you need good cooling. The ultra 120 extreme or water cooling I recommend

I don't think u'll hit 3.6 ghz with a sycthe... its a g0 you need good cooling. The ultra 120 extreme or water cooling I recommend
The Ninja is a "good" cooler, it may not be the best, but it's not bad. And of the different revisions of Kentsfield, the G0 is the coolest, so that part of your statement doesn't make much sense.

I agree it will be tough to get there, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Just wanted to post an update. I recieved all my new gear (except the 2nd 2GB Crucial kit, hopefully tomorrow) and got it all installed. I'm very pleased to have a good report.

First off, I did not do a fresh install of Vista x64. I noticed the last machine I rebuilt with XP was very smooth without a fresh install, when going from an old VIA KT333 / Athlon XP1800+ to a newer Intel 945G / Celeron 325 combo. I've heard promissing things about the way Vista is built with the new driver layer. Well my switch from an nForce4-SLI / Opteron 185 to my new Intel P35 / Q6600 was also a very pleasing experiance, and I'll report back if this changes in the future.

Next, just wanted to say I'm very impressed with my new hardware. The Gigabyte board has a great layout and is impeccably finished/sorted. I love having 8 SATA ports onboard, and AFAIK they're the only manufacturer offering eSATA ports via an expansion slot addon. I think this is the best of both worlds and supports a wider range of users. I for one, will probably never use eSATA, and this is why I did not choose a P5K board from Asus. But, if I change my mind in the future, I know I'll be ready to go with Gigabytes innovation. Something else I've very please with about this board is it's stability, even with stock voltages. I have not had to raise any on the onboard voltages to achieve my desired OC :eek: Everything is set to it's stock values except the CPU and the RAM. I do have to point out one BIOS setting (version F7) that is missing...a 1:1 memory ratio. My plan from the start was to run my FSB @ 400MHz with DDR-800. The BIOS's lowest setting is 4:5, so 400MHz FSB will put my memory at 1000MHz DDR. Luckly for me, I picked out some good Crucial memory.

Speaking of the RAM, it was definitely up to the task, it's currently running at DDR2-500 5-5-5-15 T2 with only 1.9V :bday: I was expecting to have to feed it some more voltage at these speeds, but it's doing just fine right here. I'll post an update when I get the other 2GB.

The Q6600...my new baby (until my little girl is born next month) is running great! Everyone knows these things run hot! And, while I was hoping my Ninja would do a better job of cooling it...it is still able to impress me. So far I have been able to boot Vista successfully at 400x9 3.6GHz WITH ONLY 1.35V :D Unfortunately with any load my Ninja just isn't up to the task. So my highest stable setting right now is a 400x8 3.2GHz WITH ONLY 1.30V :D Vdroop at load seems to be about 0.05V so it's actually running on 1.25V at load. This was stable with dual ORTHOS + RTHDRIBL for 7hrs 30min as you can see in the screenie below. I think with another small bump in VID I should be completely stable.

On another good note...my modified (via a low speed fan swap) 500W ENERMAX LIBERTY is powering my OC'ed Q6600 @ 3.2GHz + OC'ed 8800GTX @ 621-1512-2106 flawlessly.

I believe that the "need" for huge wattage is mostly a myth, and that my 500W PSU is enough.

OK, so I wanted to share some of the info from my new build.

When I began, I noticed the Ninja was showing signs of convex base:
IMG_1947.jpg

I lapped it with 240 -> 320 -> 400 -> 800 -> 1200 grit sandpaper to a relatively flat finish. It's not as smooth as it could be, but I'm not too concerned with apperances, just performance:
IMG_1971.jpg

I stripped and cleaned my GTX to make way for it's new attire, a Thermalright HR-03 Plus I picked up in Akihabara yesterday:
IMG_2009.jpg

I used Arctic Cooling MX-2 TIM for both the GTX and the Q6600:
IMG_2020.jpg

I really like the layout of this mobo, everything fit together without any fuss:
IMG_2028.jpg

Nice clean lines:
IMG_2024.jpg

I built a duct/shroud for intake & exhaust air for the Ninja:
IMG_2037.jpg

Intake is on the rear, and exhaust goes out the top. The CPU idles about 32C and gets up to about 72C with all 4 cores loaded:
IMG_2039.jpg

The chipset cooling is quite effective as well, it idles about 38C and gets up to 44C at load:
IMG_2043.jpg

I have a total of 8 fans in my P180b. 7 120mm 1350RPM Yate Loon fans; 2 in front for intake, 1 for CPU intake, 1 on the GTX 1 in front of the GTX, 1 in HDD/PSU tunnel, 1 in PSU. The 8th fan is the exhaust fan at the top, it's a 120mmx38mm 2000RPM Scyth Ulta Kaze and is thermally controlled according to CPU temps.
IMG_2031.jpg

Any comments are welcome, thanks for looking.

Thanks for the info. I 'm getting one of those mainboards today. I'm disappointed with the "I do have to point out one BIOS setting (version F7) that is missing...a 1:1 memory ratio". wtf. grr, got the cheap HP ram rated at DDR2-667

I do have to point out one BIOS setting (version F7) that is missing...a 1:1 memory ratio. My plan from the start was to run my FSB @ 400MHz with DDR-800.
Are you sure about this?
Look here...
System memory multiplier:

2.50 = 4/5
3.00 = 2/3
2.00 = 1/1
2.40 = 5/6
3.20 = 5/8
3.33 = 3/5
4+ = 1/2

Thanks for the info. I 'm getting one of those mainboards today. I'm disappointed with the "I do have to point out one BIOS setting (version F7) that is missing...a 1:1 memory ratio". wtf. grr, got the cheap HP ram rated at DDR2-667

Are you sure about this?
Look here...
System memory multiplier:

2.50 = 4/5
3.00 = 2/3
2.00 = 1/1
2.40 = 5/6
3.20 = 5/8
3.33 = 3/5
4+ = 1/2

Thanks GT3mich, you are correct. I double checked and your listing is the way it is....I was just expecting them to be in order (silly me). I'm now running 1:1 @ DDR2-800 4-4-4-12.

However, my stability has decreased!?! I've left my system running with dual ORTHOS going for another stability check, and I've found it at BSOD twice. I've attempted to mildly increase voltages on all onboard devices (FSB, MCH, & RAM) with now change. I'm going to try again right now and post back in a few hours with results.

Miah...

Your additional ram arrived today.... I have the box in my office, I'll be in COC after 1300...so hurry back from lunch!!!! :beer:

EDIT; Because I am on foot today...that's a long arse walk up your hill LOL :)

Back