• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone having problems with ASUS MB's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robmoo

ASUS has a reputation for being one of the best MB manufacturers, but I've been having problems lately.

I have a A8N32sli deluxe that I had to RMa because the board died after a little over a years use. I started having problems quite a while ago and progressively the board died.

I have a P5N32-e SLI in my gaming rig. The first board I received was DOA. This board did not correctly detect my CPU or RMA voltage. Then when I tried to add 2 more GB of Crucial Ballistixs I noticed that 2 of the memory slots gave errors when the memory worked fine on the other set. Then the computer froze here and there while surfing the net or reading emails. This weekend the computer started freezing while loading windows then while posting. I'm RMA it tomorrow. I read the reviews for my board on Newegg and a lot of people are receiving DOA boards.

Is ASUS quality slipping?

I've had a P4P800SE and a P5ND2-SLI die on me randomly recently, so I think I'm going to stick with Gigabyte and Abit.
This doesn't reflect on Asus quality as a whole, though.

Unfortunately, the P5N32-E SLi's don't handle 4 sticks of ram at all.(or the 680i chipset for that matter) Especially with overclocking. I killed off my P5N when I first got my 4 gig of ram, bought a P35 board and haven't had a problem since.

Hmm, only 2 Asus board i've had out of about 20 died.

1st one was a P4C800 Deluxe which after about a year died when a psu burned out the 4pin on it :mad: Rma-ed it but the return took so long i bought a refurbed from the egg. Refurbed lasted a year also till i sold it. best dam board for the P4 478 IMHO.

2nd was a A7N8X which for no apparent reason ram slots just gave up. Could never figure out why :confused:

Other than that evry Asus board i've had were champs. I luv my current board. Not 1 single problem since i've had it. And to think i was gonna make the jump to C2D. Glad I stuck with it :D

I don't know about their quality now with AM2 boards, but i still think Asus is tops in my book. Maybe the 775's are cursed? :eh?:

I have only had 2 boards from asus that have gone wrong on there own the rest i broke i have had one abit that was DOA, mostly i would say there quaility is fine.

The only problems i had from Asus mobos were sadly from nVidia based chipsets... first on a P5ND2-SLI - blew up straight out of the box, and a P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe that just can't take more that 75% cpu utilization - just randomly reboots above that, and 1/2 the time will straight up bork any data on any SATA disk attached to it.

Other models i've owned in order:

P4P800 - worked great up until i sold it 2 years ago, still working to this day.
P4P800SE x2 - Both were flawless up until sold, still in service :)
P5LD2 - Ran awesome until a cusatomer accidently scratched a trace on the board, killing one of the RAM channels... worked flawless until i slipped in my computer room on a random pile of junk and stepped on it.
P5B Deluxe / wifi x2 Both have been stellar, both are folding as we speak
P5B vanilla x2 both were folding with quads up until a month ago, both were flawless, caveats being they were poor overclockers

~ Gos

Had an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe an old 939 socket. It had junk NB Heatsink and fried in second month so got replacement (ASUS have great warranties though) and mounted non stock NB heatsink and it was fine. Didnt Oc mutch on that board but was great.

Sticking to ASUS since i thought it to be the best i got P5N-SLI thinking and knowing that it had great price/pref, and it does but the Vdroop is Verry bad making it drop in rating and drawing lines on a MB with lead isnt too appealing.

So im planning on getting a MSI board that had nothing but good in its review and hit 500+ FSB OC and the price dropped and someone wants to buy my old gear so another upgrade for me :)

Asus is good but i dono if its THAT good for paying extra for an Asus GPU and ASUS MB since it has been proven that MSI MB + MSI GPU(ASUS MB + ASUS GPU) run better that ASUS MB + MSI GPU (example) same applies for other brands.

Again Brand is all about user Experience so you lear from mistakes and thats it.

ones ive owned.
p4c800-e(i agree with Neb here,great 478 mb).
p4p800(diehard sob).
p5w-dh(best 775 mb ive owned,rock solid).
striker extreme(huge disappointment).
p5b vanilla(suprisingly solid).

ones ive had to rma/replace.
p4c800-e,died after 2+ years.
striker extreme,died after less than two weeks.replaced it with the evga in my sig.
still using the p5b in my back up and the p4p800 is still running strong in a friends rig.

Back