• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation on kit and case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sgvnut

Registered
Hi all,

I am looking to get a wc kit for the new system i'm building. This is my first time attempting wc so i want to stick with a kit. I am thinking about getting the swiftech h20-220 apex ultra kit. Some people also recommend the petrakits. Would the petrakit be any better than the swiftech one? What do you guys think?

I would also like to get some input on a good case to get. I was planning to get an antec nine hundred case since i'm able to get one for a good price, but that was before i decided to go the water route. Since, my plans took a turn, i would like to know if the antec case would be okay to use with the above kit. Or if i would be better off with a different case, maybe a bigger one or something. I saw some people recommending the ufo cases but i do not really want to spend $350+ on the case since i've already spent over $2000 on my system and still have these two parts i need to get.

I'm not sure if the parts i have matter but here is the list.
2 - 22" samsung 226bw monitors
2 - Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB HDs
1 - DFI LP UT P35 T2R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 - Intel Q6600 w/ G0 stepping
1 - Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DVR-112D
1 - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
1 - CORSAIR 620W Power Supply
1 - EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 Video Card

So all i need left is the case and the cooler then i can start building.

Thanks!

That swiftech kit is great. I actually just picked one up myself. You wont be disappointed there. People who have the Antec 900 seem to like it, but for the same money I would pick up a Lian LI.

It depends on which petra kit your talking about. The kit that is priced the same as the one you linked is their basic kit. The differences between the two would be minimal. Most of the differences are just personal preference. i.e t-line to resevoir, different fans, different additives. Assuming you use a similar speed YL fan from petra any performance difference would be minimal. If I were I would decide if I wanted a T-line or resevoir and go with that kit.

That swiftech kit is great. I actually just picked one up myself. You wont be disappointed there. People who have the Antec 900 seem to like it, but for the same money I would pick up a Lian LI.

Well i can actually get the antec for a very good price, about 50-60 dollars. As long as there are not any known problems or issues with water cooling on the case.

I came across this in the upgrade section in my dealnewsletter email today.
I'm don't use water cooling and have no idea of the OC opinions on this particular setup.....May be worth researching.....

$30 shipped after rebate
Cooler Master Aquagate Duo Viva Liquid Cooling System
ZipZoomFly.com offers the Cooler Master Aquagate Duo Viva Liquid Cooling System, model no. RL-M4A-E7E3-GP, for $59.99 with free shipping. This $30 mail-in rebate chops it to $29.99. That's the lowest total price we could find by $44. Designed for SLI and CrossFire video cards, this cooling system features a safety alarm, pure copper water block, pump, and more. Rebate expires October 14.

Save yourself money and don't buy dfi board. Nice board for benching but for normal user not so so.

I would buy Petras Basic kit over the Swifty kit. Not only do you get the honor of doing business with Petra, but they are really great flexible people. If you wanted, I'm sure you can swap the Tline and fillport in the petras kit for a MCRES, or the Apogee GT for a GTX. Just tell them in your order and I am 95% sure they will fufill that for you ( you would have to pay the price difference of course).

Petras kit also comes with worm drive clamps instead of the plastic Swifty clamps. On top of that, they also include Yate Loons which are pretty much some of the best fans you can get for your radiator. And you know they are genuine Yates as they are coming from Petras. :D

Case, I would go for at least a mid tower. A large full tower such as the Stacker, Armor, or any of the full tower Lian Lis would be optimal. I wouldn't get the Antec 900, it really isn't that great for a dual rad setup.

Save yourself money and don't buy dfi board. Nice board for benching but for normal user not so so.

Too late, it's sitting here in a box few feet away from me. The raving reviews i saw on newegg, also a couple on here, convinced me to buy it.

I made the move and got the swiftech kit. It was on sale on sidewinder, i should receive it by monday hopefully. Well it doesn't really matter since i still need a case. I'm still waiting for the antec, there have been a few problems and i'm not able to get it in time. I will be able to get it at that price but i'll have to wait a little bit. Debating if i should just screw the antec and just purchase another case. Ahhh, that means more money!

I would buy Petras Basic kit over the Swifty kit. Not only do you get the honor of doing business with Petra, but they are really great flexible people. If you wanted, I'm sure you can swap the Tline and fillport in the petras kit for a MCRES, or the Apogee GT for a GTX. Just tell them in your order and I am 95% sure they will fufill that for you ( you would have to pay the price difference of course).

Petras kit also comes with worm drive clamps instead of the plastic Swifty clamps. On top of that, they also include Yate Loons which are pretty much some of the best fans you can get for your radiator. And you know they are genuine Yates as they are coming from Petras. :D

Case, I would go for at least a mid tower. A large full tower such as the Stacker, Armor, or any of the full tower Lian Lis would be optimal. I wouldn't get the Antec 900, it really isn't that great for a dual rad setup.

Darn, i missed your post, i placed the order on the swiftech kit on wed night. I always forget to put the instant email notification on when i subscribe to the threads :bang head. I guess my other option is to upgrade in the future. Thanks anyway for the suggestion though.

Maybe i won't wait for the antec 900 then. I'll check some of those cases out. I will try to report back BEFORE i pull the trigger this time haha.

Thanks!

Darn, i missed your post, i placed the order on the swiftech kit on wed night. I always forget to put the instant email notification on when i subscribe to the threads :bang head. I guess my other option is to upgrade in the future. Thanks anyway for the suggestion though.

Maybe i won't wait for the antec 900 then. I'll check some of those cases out. I will try to report back BEFORE i pull the trigger this time haha.

Thanks!

damn, sorry to hear that, overall it should still perform very good, the block however might decrease performance but you are setup now with a good kit and later on if you decide to change the block, its all that should be nessecary.

Swiftech H20-220 is the kit to get. Easy to install, all the parts match; great kit.

ThermalTake Black Matrix case with a complete anti dust mesh front is cheap and great for water cooling if you do an internal or external install (external recommended).

p5k mobo 4 sure.

Swiftech H20-220 is the kit to get. Easy to install, all the parts match; great kit.

ThermalTake Black Matrix case with a complete anti dust mesh front is cheap and great for water cooling if you do an internal or external install (external recommended).

p5k mobo 4 sure.

:confused::confused::confused::confused: bowroflarms.gif

What do you guys think about the silverstone tj07-bw? i know i said i didn't want to spend that much on a case, but this is the only case i can find that i like. I don't want to wait any longer! I think i'm going to go with this case since its works well with WC and it looks very nice.

Back