• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair CMPSU-520HX ps not right for new Asus P5K-E mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

The Asus mobo has an 8 pin connector. The Gigabyte has a four pin power connector. I am not sure what others like the Abit IP35 or other P35 mobos have.

The newer mobos are now using the 24 pin main plug, and it was 20 just a few years ago.

Then there is the issue of the type of power plugs that I will receive when I buy a vid card - a 8800GTS 320MB. I have read there is up to 75W on the pci-e bus, 75 on a molex (or two), others for other sizes. I am not even 100% sure it will be a 8800GTS 320MB, and I think even ATI has different power plugs. Some have 6 pin, some have 8 pin, some use molex(s).

So this ps is very recommended, and it is very quiet, which I want.

So is this power supply good for this hw combo or what?

btw, heres a good ps link:
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/167642-power-supply-guide.html

yes it is...it has the now standard 24pin and 8pin connectors for the motherboard. it has the standard 6pin for the pci-e video cards. the thing it wont have is the new 8pin pci-e plug for future cards.

That psu has 8pin and 4 pin (for cpu) 24pin 20+4 (for motherboard) and 2x 6pin connectors (video cards). Nvidia gfx use only 6 pin connectors so far. AMd gfx uses 8pin and 6 pin but two 6pin can be connected. The graphic card 8pin connector is not the same as cpu 8 pin connector.

well it seems all around best, then. I thought I had found a potential problem - this is contrary. thx.

So the only thing it won't do is AMd graphics because it has no 8-pin? I didn't even know there was such a thing as Amd graphics. Is this at all important on the newest ps s? Like I said I'm probly gonna get a 880GTS 320, (little) maybe ATI, so it will do both of these, yes?

in the future could there be pin adaptors? are people gonna be, or currently using these with any success? I have been reading adaptors shoulsd be avoided, and more thata single rail should be avoided(usu; not better?), just confirming this (520HX)is an up to date for my needs ps, and future-proofing. Asus P5K-E (or other) mobo, single gpu (nvidia or ati). I had read fears.

btw, if its current and just a matter of a few leads from over ther to here on the different plug, and the design allows enough and the correct kind of power I would see no reason a company would not include it on the unit. Also if it is possible to jimmie an adaptor/ create the plug and its the same then its ok. Its the other problems I want to avoid, and I thought it had a couple of these problems. I though tmaybe the 24+8 (or even 4+4?) vs 24+4 to the mobo (by mfgr &/or date) for instance, and generally nooB with the vid cards.

meionm:
did you mean ATI, not AMd ?

Last edited:
well it seems all around best, then. I thought I had found a potential problem - this is contrary. thx.

So the only thing it won't do is AMd graphics because it has no 8-pin? I didn't even know there was such a thing as Amd graphics. Is this at all important on the newest ps s? Like I said I'm probly gonna get a 880GTS 320, (little) maybe ATI, so it will do both of these, yes?

meionm:
did you mean ATI, not AMd ?

Amd owns ati so I guess I meant ati.

Ati card with 8 pin still can use 6 pin

Amd owns ati so I guess I meant ati.

Ati card with 8 pin still can use 6 pin

well i remember the rumor that new HIGH end nv cards will also use the new 8 pin connector.i think it also ties into the new pci-e 2.0 spec, for high end cards abroad.

well i remember the rumor that new HIGH end nv cards will also use the new 8 pin connector.i think it also ties into the new pci-e 2.0 spec, for high end cards abroad.

That will be a killer since pci-e 2.0 calls for possiblity of 250-300w, while current pci exress with 2x6pins can do 150w. Also I am wondering about slot power out of pci-e 2.0. With higher output less plugs will be needed. Like with move from agp to pci-e. Also worth of mentioning that with tri sli/crossfire coming out there might be a limit to how much gfx can consume.

That will be a killer since pci-e 2.0 calls for possiblity of 250-300w, while current pci exress with 2x6pins can do 150w. Also I am wondering about slot power out of pci-e 2.0. With higher output less plugs will be needed. Like with move from agp to pci-e. Also worth of mentioning that with tri sli/crossfire coming out there might be a limit to how much gfx can consume.

Huh? A clocked 8800GTS can draw 200W... Only 1x6pin.

Also running my 8800GTS on my 520W!

I must of been thinking SLI, it had two sections on the chart. My bad ;)

The way it churns out heat heat fooled me though :mad:

To the original poster, I think that'd you be a bit more more future proof by going with the 620HX model. Its the same as the 520HX, just a higher capacity, in case you upgrade down the road to something thats needs a bit more juice. Just my $0.02.

The 520X though will do you just fine. All mainstream boards now use the 24 pin connector as the standard. Some older 24 pin boards though use a 4 pin axillary connector for the CPU. The newer boards now use a 8 pin axillary power connector for increased power and stability. The reason the 24 pin connector on the PSU is called 20+4 sometimes is because a lot of PSU's have a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector that can be broken off. Thats just to make the PSU as compatible as possible will all motherboards still in use (older board were based on the 20 pin design).

As a side note- can a Mod move this to the Cases and Power Supplies section?

I have to buy a case and a ps, as well as some new main components, and I also have to concern myself with the second resultant pooter from the remaining parts. So it may be advantageous to know if the ps that come with some cases are up to the task, either temp or perm.

I cannot fill in and trust those wattage calculators, I just don't know enough.

Assuming they have up to date plugs,; and they seem to be 80 cerified. Serious because I may save $200 at the outset, and get a quiet case out of the deal, whether that ps is permanent or not.

Can this system run well with a 380W ps ( a common wattage incl. w/ (quiet) cases now)

Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP (or DS3R or Abit)
E6750 2.66GHz 1333 (overclocked? yes)
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix 6400s
Zalman CNPS-7000Cu or Tuniq Tower (if any lower noise benefit)
SB X-Fi Gamer pci
(unkn) 8800GTS 320 pci-e (overclocked? maybe)
USR 56K voice modem pci (2976?)
(2) WD 36GB SATA-1 Raptor HDDs in RAID0
LG HSA-10N 16x DRW RW ATA
80GB Seagate 7200.7 HDD data storage
black floppy
Vantec NXP-301fan& light ctrlr (2 blue light tubes not used much)
min. (2) 120mm fans, may a couple more, incl 80mm

ps
the way the 520HX and 620HX are described, the 520W is for anything not running SLI, and vice versa. What about 380W. Its just a fact I am needing to make intelligent purchase decisions. I have also read the 520HX is a single fan and as quiet as they come (all round awesomeness too). The 620 may not be same, though I have not researched either much.

Last edited:
Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP (or DS3R or Abit)
E6750 2.66GHz 1333 (overclocked? yes)
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix 6400s
Zalman CNPS-7000Cu or Tuniq Tower (if any lower noise benefit)
SB X-Fi Gamer pci
(unkn) 8800GTS 320 pci-e (overclocked? maybe)
USR 56K voice modem pci (2976?)
(2) WD 36GB SATA-1 Raptor HDDs in RAID0
LG HSA-10N 16x DRW RW ATA
80GB Seagate 7200.7 HDD data storage
black floppy
Vantec NXP-301fan& light ctrlr (2 blue light tubes not used much)
min. (2) 120mm fans, may a couple more, incl 80mm

That system won't go over 300w

Most DEFINITELY not. It might run, but barely. If you're thinking about skimping on your PSU, you really need to think again. With a nice system like that, a good, strong PSU is an absolute MUST. Its like if you shelled out $45K for a BMW and all you got under the hood was a straight 4 cylinder to power it. Spare yourself the headache and get a good, quality PSU like the HX520 or HX620.

Back