• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the best way to clean a rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I got a gut feeling one or more of the tubes in my rad are clogged.

What is the best way to clean this thing out?

--pak

well I upgraded to a fuzion recently from a storm, and when I took my storm apart, a few of the jets were clogged. It was the coolant that I used to use. Also, since I have had this quad, I have been having troubles with its temps. I finally got it down to a decent temp, but notice my water temps have gone up severely. Previous procs would never get my water temp more that 1.5c abov ambient. This proc get my water temps well above ambint by 6c. So I am hoping that by dropping my water temps back to a C or two above ambient, I could get the same off my load temps.

I have heard of people using all kinds of things. Rubbing alcohol, vinegar, battery acid, boiling the rad in water....

anyone have a preferance?

--pak

fill it quarter way with water and soap, plug the barbs and shake the **** out of it... use HOT water. You can probably soak it with vinegar overnight.

Another way you may want to try is dry it out and let it sit in the sun for a few days to completely dry everything out inside. Put it on something made out of black iron. Then after it's baked and dried out nicely, use compressed air and blow everything out.

be very careful with white vinegar thou - as it clouds & sometimes actually cracks clear acrylic... it should work well in you're radiator but can be quite brutal to any blocks you have that use acrylic!

wouldnt a vinegar soak start eating away at the copper after a few hours?

I soak with vinegar for an hour and flush with distilled.

Well I soaked with vinegar for about an hour or so, then started flushing with boiling distilled water. Water came out crytal clear. Did some shaking as well.

No gain though. I am still getting 6c over ambient which is what I was getting before I "cleaned" the rad out.

I know you guys are going to say airflow, but I got great airflow with 6 100cfm fans.

Could this q6600>coolrad 32t?

--pak

I used DOW scrubbing bubbles in my new PA120.3 rad (just squirted it full), let it sit for a few minutes, and then flushed and rinsed with hot soapy water followed by several rinses. I used to use this on my 6002 WB since you can't take it apart and it works great.

Well I soaked with vinegar for about an hour or so, then started flushing with boiling distilled water. Water came out crytal clear. Did some shaking as well.

No gain though. I am still getting 6c over ambient which is what I was getting before I "cleaned" the rad out.

I know you guys are going to say airflow, but I got great airflow with 6 100cfm fans.

Could this q6600>coolrad 32t?

--pak

If the water was clear when you were done it should be fine. Did you try blowing through it to see if it was partially clogged or anything?

How much water is your pump pushing? Could it be a bad pump?

Back