• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga 680i dropping multiplier not a speedstep problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Verti

Hello everyone...

Im new to these forums, but I have been overclocking for a long time.

Here is my problem. My system is in my Sig. XP Pro

With my Evga 680i A1, I can run 3.8G for a while, but it on the verge of being stable. If I raise my Vcore above 1.51, I have no problem booting, but when I get into windows CPU-Z sees my multiplier as 6x. If I drop it back down to 1.512, it will boot fine but after a while (30-45 mins) of stressing, it will just auto reboot. Even if I leave it on, it will reboot 3 time in an 8 hour period. I would like to try 1.525, but the mobo just wont go there. Now before you ask, THEY ARE turned off. Speedstep, C1E...all that turned off.

Although I'm on Air, I can keep the temps @ 3.8g in the low to mid 60s, typically nothing over 63 or 64. I just need to see if anyone else has had this problem with the multiplier dropping.

Thanks

:welcome: to the forums first off...

I don't have an answer for you as I have not heard of your problem before. I have read that there is a vcore droop but nothing of a multiplier droop. I wonder if a siginificant droop in vcore could cause the CPU to default to a lower multiplier? Concerns me because I am awaiting the arrival of my eVGA 680i revision A1.

Someone with more experience than I will most certainly be coming along soon.

ive heard of the same problem but ive yet to see a for sure fix.you may try a bios flash or if worst comes to worst a bios chip replacement.
it sounds like the bios isnt disabling speedstep and c1e for some reason.

welcome to the darkside rdrash,read your post about switching :D

ive heard of the same problem but ive yet to see a for sure fix.you may try a bios flash or if worst comes to worst a bios chip replacement.
it sounds like the bios isnt disabling speedstep and c1e for some reason.

welcome to the darkside rdrash,read your post about switching :D

LOL seems pretty bright in intel land these days, but sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side...

Perhaps you've got some type of thermal throttling enabled in the BIOS. I know I've seen a few options here and there. So check and make sure all that is turned off too. Even if you are pretty sure that isn't it, double check.

UPDATE---

After I got off work this morning, I played with it some. If I booted anywhere between 1.517 - 1.543 vCore @ 3.8G, the computer would post and boot fine. CPU-Z would see the computer running at 2.55G w/a 6x multiplier. I looked everywhere in the BIOS, everything is turned off. I tried to boot with it set @ 1.55v, and it worked. CPU-Z saw it as 3801 9x 422.3.

I went ahead and tested a few other settings everything was acting pretty much the same. I decided to re-flash the BIOS. After the reflash, everything is pretty close to working normal. I still cant have it boot between 1.31 and 1.37v, but anything else around that, it works fine. Right now, I am running @1.520 and everything is stable. Going to run PCMark and a couple other benchmarks tonight make sure everything is where it should be.

Thanks for the advice everyone

And heres a pic of the system. I know it isnt perfect, but I'm still working :p

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6

Back