• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My simple WC setup (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tech9

Here is a picture of the setup while we were testing for leaks. More pictures to come once I get it up and running.

Thanks to custom90gt for all the help and some of the parts.

Apogee Block
Swift 220 Rad - running 2 -120 yates
Swiftech pump

img1601wc2.jpg

Very nice setup. You did a really good job with the external rad. Sometimes those things can look obtrusive but you got it to blend in nicely, almost looks like it belongs there.

I was thinking that same thing after looking at it. You think I would lose a lot of flow doing that?

why don't you use "L" connectors for the hoses going out the back to the rad? A tighter turn might look neater...

Tho it might look neater, using "L's" to have a tighter turn will do more damage to flow than good. The tighter the turn, the more the pump has to work to make that turn.

What you should've done was turn the rad the other way so the fittings are going inside the case, thus eliminating those turns of the lines.

Nicely done tho :thup:

Well nebulous is right too.. having the fittings facing towards the case would make sense... But the Connectors I used a while back didn't hinder my flow at all... Maybe its cause I had a MCP650 pump? My connectors were also rounded on the inside, so maybe that was why...

Well nebulous is right too.. having the fittings facing towards the case would make sense... But the Connectors I used a while back didn't hinder my flow at all... Maybe its cause I had a MCP650 pump? My connectors were also rounded on the inside, so maybe that was why...

Could very well be Dave :)

Well the MCP650 pump is rated for ~317gph.. thats about a gallon every 11 seconds or so. I just find it hard to believe that just a couple L connectors would *really* stress one pump. Now if you have a bunch of connectors, I could understand. I'm just thinking about this from a joe schmo perspective lol

tech9- what pump are you using?

I thought the only important thing is the pressure drop that will occur because of the connectors, not the flow rate - there should be little drop because of the connectors.

Also, the pressure is only really important near the CPU block. But since he has only got a tube from the pump outlet to the block, I don't see any problems in adding connectors

Well I'm only posting from my personal expierience. Only way to to find out is to add the bends ("L's") and see what happens :) I try not to have bends in my loops, and if i do have bends, they're large bends which sometimes can't be helped given the installations of certain parts.

MCP-655 Pump
The problem with turning the rad inside is that the edge of the case is right there, and for me to drill out the holes, it would catch the edge of the case (where the pci cards go). Also thought of that idea.

I might try and different connectors just for fun.

Nice setup. I am pretty sure I saw someone else here have the same exact setup in the Aurora, not sure who. :p

custom90gt had this same setup. He went laptop only for a while so I "borrowed" some of his parts :p

Tech, you will be proud of the plan I came up with for my new machine.

Basically I am keeping a single-loop setup with two radiators. It'll be set up as follows:

Pump --3/8" (ID)--> 2x120 radiator --3/8" (ID)--> Y-splitter --Dual 1/4" (ID)--> SLI 8800GTXs --Dual 1/4" (ID)--> Y-splitter --3/8" (ID)--> 1x120 Radiator --3/8" (ID)--> CPU Block --3/8" (ID) --> Fillport T ----> Pump

So basically keeping 3/8" tubing for all, but splitting it to dual 1/4" just for the 2 SLI cards, and going right back to 3/8".

Now all I need to decide is what Pump/Blocks I will use. After seeing the EK vs. the DD 8800GTX Blocks I am going with EK, but I still need a CPU block. Thinking of the DD-TDX. As for pump, I still have not done any research.

Last edited:
Well the MCP650 pump is rated for ~317gph.. thats about a gallon every 11 seconds or so. I just find it hard to believe that just a couple L connectors would *really* stress one pump. Now if you have a bunch of connectors, I could understand. I'm just thinking about this from a joe schmo perspective lol

tech9- what pump are you using?

It has to do with head loss more than anything. At worse, a pair of 90° elbow will cause ~1 foot drop in maximum head pressure. A pair of two (consecutive) 45° bends cause considerably less (I think only a few inches) and a nicely rounded, i.e. mandrel bent, 90° bend will have little to no considerable impact (as compared to tubing being bent the same way).

Back