• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Aqua 1300 and Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kylebussen

I was doing some research on a new WC setup. My first build was using a themaltake big water and I kinda want to piece my second one together.

I found this Via Aqua 1300 pump. Anyone else using this? Is it a good option?

Thanks

Last edited:
The Via Aqua 1300 is a nice pump. Designed for submerged applications, it can be used inline as well.

It's a 120v AC pump, but yes, it is a good pump. Be sure you use some kind of rubber padding under that pump as it's a bit on the noisy side.

Tuding you will need is 1/2". The fitting to the intake is a bit on the larger side of 1/2" so you'll need to soften up the tubing to slide it on. Boil water in a pot and dip the tip of the tubing in the boiling water for a few minutes. This will soften up the tubing and it'll slide on nicely. Clamp as usual and you're all set.

Thanks for the link. I appreciate the advice but for the relay and the via pump it would only be 45.00. Hard pressed to find a PC based pump that would push that much water and cost less than 45.00.

To be honest I would never use such a cheap pump for a WC setup. The pump is the heart of the system and at $17 or $27 I just have no sense of reliability and quality.

Yeah, my original thermaltake pump went to the crapper and I had to jerry rig a submersible pump in a tupperware bowl as a temporary fix. I left it plugged in 24/7 but it was kinda noisy. That was back when my computer was in my bedroom though. I have a computer room for it now. I think I just like the idea of not having an additional wire shooting out the back of my case LOL.

Yes the pump is cheaper than standard PC water pumps but I figure just as Wondering brought up, those pond pumps are meant to push alot of water for long periods of time so seems pretty good to me.

The 1300 will work fine. I used one 24/7 for several months a while back. If you want relays, you can buy them for about $5 each at Radio Shack. You'll have to do some wiring yourself but it's pretty simple. My 1300 wasn't noisy at all. And if your pump is noisy, all you have to do it put a drop of glue in the impeller base. It's a pond pump so the impeller is designed to "give" if a rock happens to come into the chamber. When you glue that part it eliminates the noise.

Personally I'd recommend the 1800 over the 1300... Also for $45, you can find a Danner Mag 3 and that's a much better pump, and just skip on the relay.

Also, the person above is incorrect about the tubing. The fittings that come with all aqua via pumps (well, above the 480) are for 3/4" tube, and you wont want to touch that in a WC rig. Too bulky, not very flexible. You'll need to go yo tour local hardware store and pick up a 1/2" threaded (ntp) to 1/2" or 3/8" barb converter (they'll help you find it) and Teflon tape. This should cost about $3 to $5.

Edit: Oh, and I just noticed you live >2 hours from me....

Last edited:
Personally I'd recommend the 1800 over the 1300...

Alos, the person above is incorrect about the tubing. The fittings that come with all aqua via pumps (well, above the 480) are for 3/4" tube, and you wont want to touch that in a WC rig. Too bulky, not very flexible. You'll need to go yo tour local hardware store and pick up a 1/2" threaded (ntp) to 1/2" or 3/8" barb converter (they'll help you find it) and Teflon tape. This should cost about $3 to $5.

Edit: Oh, and I just noticed you live >2 hours from me.

I assumed he was already swapping out the barbs :rolleyes:

But yeah, you'll have to do what sir_pyro said. Get some 1/2" barbs instead, I don't know the thread type of them however so I can't tell you what to get. Best bet is to go to a hardware store and thread one on that fits :D

sir_pyro, Yeah i have been your way a couple times for the aquarium. You got a link for that danner pump? I thought danner was a pond pump as well?

I was thinking of using the latex surgical tubing. Anyone know if this holds up well?

sir_pyro, Yeah i have been your way a couple times for the aquarium. You got a link for that danner pump? I thought danner was a pond pump as well?

I was thinking of using the latex surgical tubing. Anyone know if this holds up well?

I'd get the Masterkleer. The stuff works amazing and is CHEAP!

I assumed he was already swapping out the barbs :rolleyes:

But yeah, you'll have to do what sir_pyro said. Get some 1/2" barbs instead, I don't know the thread type of them however so I can't tell you what to get. Best bet is to go to a hardware store and thread one on that fits :D

That was actually referring to the person that was talking about stretching the tubing over the fittings that came with it. I figured every one taking about 1/2" hose after that knew. Sorry to offend any one by poor wording there.

Danner mag 3 is also a pond/power head pump, but it has a little over 11ft of head (pressure) with lots of flow and not too much heat. I had one in my chiller due to the long hoses that it was having to push water through and it worked great, though more head would have been better still. It's one of the better performing AC powered pumps in the reasonable price range.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~DN1121.html

Back