• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Upgraded" My WCing setup and...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

...I'm getting the same temps, possible worse.

I swapped out my Storm for a FuZion and replaced my suspect (which I confirmed is working fine BTW) pump with another of the exact same model.

I was able to hit 3.6ghz with 1.5v with a TAT load temp on the Storm of 55c. I thought this was a little high to be honest. It kept getting worse so I replaced the pump and the block.

After the first mount I was hitting 65-70c @1.5v loaded and 3.6ghz. It had well over a week for the AS5 to cure. The difference in temps between the cores led me to think I had a bad mount.

After the remount I am at 52c at stock volts (1.3v, about 1.288 loaded) with TAT. It hasn't been given time to cure yet, but its not the significant difference I was looking for.

The only thing I have different in this setup is the Swiftech Waterblock in the loop. There is no gfx on that block so the only effect it should have is a relatively minor pressure drop.

So...I guess what I am asking is...can the GPU water block be the cause of my crappy temps or is there something else wrong?

EDIT: Jump bumped it back to my 3.6ghz settings (1.5 volts loaded) and ran TAT. A few minutes into it I am sitting at 68/64. No difference at all with the mount. So whats going on here?

EDIT#2: Orthos small FFT + Coretemp shows 63/63. TAT shows 60/58. I'm beginning to wonder if the difference in temps between cores is only a TAT thing.

Last edited:
DON"T USE TAT lol. please read stickies and they will tell you not to use it. It is inaccurate. Use Everest or another program. Your not supposed to use TAT. Im pretty sure TAT is for the pentium D or something like that. get another program...!
What are you talking about? I don't see that sticky.

TAT works perfect on the core2 series. ;)

CoreTemp and TAT are more accurate than speedfan/everest btw (on the core2 series).

DON"T USE TAT lol. please read stickies and they will tell you not to use it. It is inaccurate. Use Everest or another program. Your not supposed to use TAT. Im pretty sure TAT is for the pentium D or something like that. get another program...!

I'm pretty sure that TAT is designed for C2D architecture processors. I know it won't work on my P4 rig.

I thought TAT was designed to find the theoretical max temperature your processor can reach?

Regardless, 63c loaded with Orthos/Coretemp at 1.5v and 3600 is too high for me. I remember quite distinctly when I first built this rig (with the Storm) load temps never touched 60c fully loaded at 3.6ghz. Something is amiss.

TAT loads your processor up alot more than orthos/prime :p

Right, I'm not comparing before CoreTemp temps to after TAT temps. I'm comparing TAT to TAT (because I don't have record of what coretemp was before).

Before on the Storm/MCP655 at 3600/1.5v TAT was 55c max.

After on the FuZion/MCP655 at 3600/1.5v TAT was 65-70c.

My current loaded temps with Coretemp/Orthos are 63c. Idle is around 45-50c. Neither of those are acceptable to me.

Your initial temp for the storm is right on the target as it's mostly effective on IHSless single core CPU so you are right to suspect the fuzion as it should perform better once your TIM had cured (if it's needed).

Maybe something is wrong, and I have an idea what it is.

You have the same setup as before besides a less-used pump and a waterblock. You tried a few mounts, used same type of TIM. You are getting worse temps now with a block that has been proven up and down to be better than the storm. As they say, if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, its probably a duck. :beer:

I'd say you have a clog in your WB, or the Fuzion you got is just messed up. If you swap back to the storm and get lower temps again, I can't see what else it could be besides the Fuzion.

Cure your TIM, then get back to us.

Either that, or remount.

If that fails, then look at everything else.

Time for the daily dose of wtf.

So there I was, installing F@H. I was running my system at 400x8 for 3200 on stock vcore. Load temps never touched went over 41-42c. I was happy.

Then I realized...maybe it is alright to run at 3.6 since F@H will never touch the load that Orthos puts on it. I'd probably be in the high 50s as opposed to the mid 60s, which I think isn't too bad.

So I booted up 3.6ghz. I have to set 1.6v in the BIOS (drops to 1.488v loaded, 1.512v idle.) because the P5B Express is junky compared to my old P5B-D.

Anyway...my idle temps were mid 40s. Somewhere between 46-48c. I didn't even notice when F@H started because my temps only went up to 51-52c. I thought great, this works perfect.

Out of curiousity I stopped F@H and fired up Orthos. Low and behold, 53/51 LOAD temps.

Anyone ever seen a 10c+ drop from cured TIM? Most I've ever noticed is about 1-3c. Anyway...I guess there is no problem after all. Let's see what my new max is now that I've shaved 10+C off of my load temps...

EDIT: It looks like this board doesn't want to give more than 1.512v to the processor no matter what I set the BIOS to. Looks like its time to do the pencil mod and see how high I can push it with 1.512v loaded.

Last edited:
if you dont have a backplate for your fuzion, you should probably buy or make one

ive read about people getting way better temps when they put a backplate on, and your mobo wont bow with the backplate

Back