• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$200 Budget For Watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

Ok well I am gnna need watercooling for my system. My budget is around $200 - $220

Here is what I was thinking of getting so far:
Note: this is to cool a quad 6600 g0 for now, but possibly the 8800gts later)

Cpu Block: D-tek FuZion CPU Water Block
Link: http://jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3667

Radiator: Swiftech MCR320-QP-K Triple 120mm Radiator
Link: http://jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3320

Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B™ 12 VDC Pump Without speed controller
Link: http://jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3803

Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro
Link: http://jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3093

Tubing: ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD (still confused on what kind of tubing to get, what does ID and OD mean? Is this tubing right for me?)
Link: http://jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=2431

Additive: Dtek Liquid F/X UV Dye: Fire Red (will I need anything else to add to the water, like something to stop corossion or anything?)
Link: http://jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3703

TOTAL= $215 With Shipping & Tax

This watetcooling setup will be put into this case:
CASS_LILI_A7_0D_more.jpg

What do you guys think of this setup? IS THERE ANYTHING THAT YOU WOULD SUGGEST I CHANGE???

Thanks OcForums

E L L U Z I O N

Last edited:
Looks like a great build! ID stands for Inside Diameter, and OD stands for Outside Diameter of the tubing. That tubing is fine for you. For the additive, I'd get Swiftech Hydrx and mix it with distilled water.

^Thanks for the info.

Would I add the Hydrx with the Distilled water and The UV dye??

I wouldn't use UV dye, you will find it detrimental to the parts in the loop.

Clearflex is bad, at least my experience with them. Use Masterkleer instead.

I am pretty sure a Apogee GTX beats the Fuzion, unless you plan to get those nozzles that are taking forever to come out.

For your water, use distilled water with a biocide like PT Nuke and ~10% antifreeze if you like.

Looks good. I'd skip out on the dye and HydrX, just use distilled water and a little antifreeze along with a little biocide/anti-algaecide and iodine. Mix 5-10% antifreeze in the loop, and only a few mLs of growth killer.

For tubing, I'd recommend going with 7/16" ID tubing. It is much harder to get over 1/2" barbs, however it is a much better seal. It doesn't require clamps, as the tubing is physically smaller than the barb itself. To get the tubing over barbs, you'll need hot water to soften the tubing, and stretch it over the barb by sliding it over the barbs with some force. 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing is smaller than 1/2" ID 3/4" OD, it bends easier, and I think it looks better due to it's lower bulk. On top of being smaller, it also weighs less and puts less torque on the blocks. Since it bends easier, it's easier to work with and route in a tight case.

If you do decide to go with 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing, stay away from ClearFlex. If you have the money go with Tygon, otherwise I'd stick with MasterKleer. I've never used tygon, but I hated the ClearFlex I used before, and I love my 7/16" ID 5/8" OD MasterKleer. Anyway, if you stick with any sort of 1/2" ID tubing, make sure to buy lots of worm-drive clamps to go over every connection so you don't get any leaks.

Ok so I guess I wont get the UV dye. Are there any dyes that you guys would reccomend or are proven to work ok?

So use antifreeze and algae killer? is there a premixed fluid like this that I can buy???

THanks for the tubing suggestions. I will get masterkleer 7/16 ID 5/8 OD

Thank you

Ok so I guess I wont get the UV dye. Are there any dyes that you guys would reccomend or are proven to work ok?

So use antifreeze and algae killer? is there a premixed fluid like this that I can buy???

THanks for the tubing suggestions. I will get masterkleer 7/16 ID 5/8 OD

Thank you

I use Pentosin G12 for my antifreeze. It's pink in color, and it is UV Reactive. However, at such a low concentration that I use it at, it's hardly noticeable. I used FrozenCPU Red UV Dye. It stains the tubing pink, and it glows orange, and it's very strong stuff. I still have a full bottle of it for the most part, and when I re-do my loop, I'm definitely not using it. I'm just going to stick with plain Distilled + 5% antifreeze. For algae killer, you can use povidone Iodine, you can go to a petstore and pick up some concentrated anti-algae/biocide, or you can use silver tubing/blocks. I'd stick with using biocide. Silver tubing is expensive and only comes in 1/2" ID 3/4" ID.

^ok thanks. I guess I will stay away from the UV stuff. But about like BLood Red? that would probably stain my tubing huh?

Newegg has some pretty nice set-up that you dont have to custom build for around 200 bux.

Slap me if that was uncalled for :D

Newegg doesn't have anything worth while in stock right now. Go for the setup you picked out, thats some top notch stuff.

Edit: Those coolants are just dye + distilled water + anticorrosives (for most brands they just use antifreeze). I never recommend those since they're a waste of money IMO (last time I priced out a gallon at their typical cost it was something like $88/gallon). If you like the color, then I suppose thats your only option.

THats the stuff im looking for! Thanks

Do I have to use antifreezee and algae crap with that stuff?

Yeah I could look at kits, but I think you get a better deal when you build them yourself.

with fluid XP you run it striaght, says so on the bottle/instructions, no need for AF or algea killer.

the only waterkit i have seen under $200 that is worth the money is this one from swiftech.
http://www.crazypc.com/products/h2o-120_compact-93710.html

^oh ic. Well I would probably be better off getting a tripple rad and modding my case for it. It is part of my senior project (to cut the case and stuff) thanks for the link for that fluid xp stuff. That sounds like the way to go for me and will work perfect with the color i'm going for.

Thanks a lot for all of your help! I appreciate it.

That fluid xp would be ok for 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing right? it says to have atleast 3/8'' of tubing.

^oh ic. Well I would probably be better off getting a tripple rad and modding my case for it. It is part of my senior project (to cut the case and stuff) thanks for the link for that fluid xp stuff. That sounds like the way to go for me and will work perfect with the color i'm going for.

Thanks a lot for all of your help! I appreciate it.

That fluid xp would be ok for 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing right? it says to have atleast 3/8'' of tubing.

3/8 is smaller then 7/16,your fine....

Too many users had had bad experiences with Fluid XP products. I still recommend making your own fluid.

Back