• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which P5K ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

I'm looking for one that is reasonably priced, but has an OCing ability as well, what are my options ? Putting a Q6600 in it.

I bought myself a P5k premium (black perl) Newer motherboard revision. However, it still has the SATA problem. Although, ASUS claims that it will be releaseing a new bios to fix that soon.

The P5KC looks pretty sweet for $160, also the P5K-E/WIFI-AP, does the first support OCing ? yeah that was my first choice, but its a bit more than i should spend.

I bought myself a P5k premium (black perl) Newer motherboard revision. However, it still has the SATA problem. Although, ASUS claims that it will be releaseing a new bios to fix that soon.

what is the sata problem everyone seems to mention?

P5K-E/WIFI-AP

is the best in my opinion for price and performance

Can I get memory speeds of 1333Mhz on that board ? I plan to oc a bit. i see that it talks about using it on their website, "so it can", but its not native liek the p5kc ?

what is the sata problem everyone seems to mention?

Some sata drives apparently refuse to work with the motherboard. I'm not quite sure which ones are known to work or not work because everybody seems to have different opinions on that fact. I'm just hopting that seagate is good to go, because thats what I have...

for a quad, stay away from the p5k vanilla/p5kc, they don't do quad cores well, I'd go with the p5k-e, it's basically a scaled back version of the deluxe, missing a few unnessecary parts ;)

for a quad, stay away from the p5k vanilla/p5kc, they don't do quad cores well, I'd go with the p5k-e, it's basically a scaled back version of the deluxe, missing a few unnessecary parts ;)

So any P5K boards that also has DDR2 memory support is a problem, then? Or isn't it because of the memory? The E does not support DDR2.

So any P5K boards that also has DDR2 memory support is a problem, then? Or isn't it because of the memory? The E does not support DDR2.

No that is not a problem, and all the P5K boards support DDR2 including the P5K-E. As well as 90% of the boards you would be able to purchase right now.

Why would you think it doesn't support DDR2?

Are you getting it confused with P5K3? That supports DDR3 and yes, stay away from that unless you enjoy throwing money away for no reason at all.

Ah... Embarassing... Yes, I did confuse them. But then I'm perpetually confused by something or other! ;) And I will stay away from them because if I'm gonna throw away my hard earned money, there better be a women i sexy underwear up on a stage ready to pick them up! :D

Dang, seems the E won't be back in the shops in at least two weeks (and even then it's an unverified date!). So I think I'll have to check out others. These are in right now:
P5KC
P5K
P5K64 WS

And from MSI:
P35 Platinum
P35 Platinum Combo

I used almost exclusively MSI boards back in my Athlon days, and every one of those (gotta be at least 5) still work, after having been in several different setups. How are these for stable overclocking?

Dang. Out the window they go... Thanks! Gotta find out if there's anything that speaks against the P5K64 WS.

Edit: Found it without help. DDR3... Grrrr!

+1

If you cannot find the P5K's in stock, you should also consider the P35 boards from Abit and Gigabyte.

Thanks again! As I said in the other thread I've found a source for the P5K-E, so I think I'm gonna go with that. :)

I would recomend the P5K-E having had one it oced my x6800 and qx6700 better than any thing i have had before i also ran my OCZ reapper memory at 1350 mhz with no problems.

Back