• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS goof on the P5k black pearl

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sunrunner20

Masta Tweeka!
Well, got my black pearl in today. While I was putting it together I noticed something. If you plan on using the active fans, when you try to mount it on the mosfet heatsink you have to remove the lower two screws from the fan. Otherwise chances are you are going to break something. It seems asus forgot to round over one edge of that heatsink. (they rounded the other heatsink)

Well, got my black pearl in today. While I was putting it together I noticed something. If you plan on using the active fans, when you try to mount it on the mosfet heatsink you have to remove the lower two screws from the fan. Otherwise chances are you are going to break something. It seems asus forgot to round over one edge of that heatsink. (they rounded the other heatsink)

I actually have a p5k-E sitting behind me, Im waiting for my q6600 to come in. Mosfet? is that like a northbridge heatsink? Are there any pics?
Thanks

First off, I mentioned black pearl ed. (P5k premium) because Its the only P5k motherboard with the full coverage cooling heatsinks. This means, your P5k-e does not have the heatsink I speak of.
However, for informational purposes:

mosfet is a type of transistor used for power applications. Most often they are seen in SMPS(switching mode power supplies. They tend to get hot, however despite common belief they can take the heat.

First off, I mentioned black pearl ed. (P5k premium) because Its the only P5k motherboard with the full coverage cooling heatsinks. This means, your P5k-e does not have the heatsink I speak of.
However, for informational purposes

Miss type. I meant -P, not -E.
I have a Black Pearl...

Thanks for the info, mine will be here in a couple of days and i was planning on using those blower fans on the fet sinks.

MOSFET= metal oxide semiconducter feild effect transistor.

I rma'ed an Abit board that I had sinked every mosfet on the board....and the next board that came out from Abit had all the mosfets together, and were not only sinked, but had active cooling. When I rma'ed the board, I included a letter that explained why I sinked the mosfets,(was woried 'bout waranty) and told them that I was able to get a few more mhz out of the board.
I think board designers get a lot of their ideas from us in the clocking community.

MOSFET= metal oxide semiconducter feild effect transistor.

I rma'ed an Abit board that I had sinked every mosfet on the board....and the next board that came out from Abit had all the mosfets together, and were not only sinked, but had active cooling. When I rma'ed the board, I included a letter that explained why I sinked the mosfets,(was woried 'bout waranty) and told them that I was able to get a few more mhz out of the board.
I think board designers get a lot of their ideas from us in the clocking community.

o they do indeed for sure!

Back