• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well its been lest 2 years since i upgraded my pc, its bout that time I need to wipe and reinstall xp, and my B-Day is coming up in ~2 weeks, so i figure its about time to get something new, and hopefully future proof my system for another year or 2(ya wishful thinking, I know).

so anyway, my curent system is as follows

Intel Pentium D 830 Smithfield
ASUS P5WD2-Premium
Corsair CM2X1024-6400 5-5-5-18
XFX 7800GT

Water Cooling
Apogee GT
MCW60
MCP655
MCR320 QP 3x120 (also have a 5 foot bong cooler but thats another story)

so anyway, I was plaining out a new compleat build, and well I'd love some outside input as the only real computer savvy guy in this town is bias on what he will and wont buy.

so anyway, i was planing something along the lines of

LIAN LI PC-A70A for the case

frankly I love their cases and this one should hold any future upgrades without a problem

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit

OCZ ModXStream OCZ900MXS ATX12V / EPS12V 900W Power Supply

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

wile I will not need to Sli now, I want Sli to be an option for future upgrades

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

Well with the new quads coming out in Jan i figure I'd save a cople here and wait it out.
If i go air colling i will likely get a Thermalright Ultra-120, not sure yet.

So, will that be a good board for my needs?
Will it support the new quads in Jan with a bios update?
What ram would you recommend for that board?

thats all I can currently think of, gotta get to work :bang head

:welcome:
To the forums...

I am getting the same MB and a QX6700 in a week or so. As long as you get an A1 revision board you will be able to run quads and making sure you have the latest BIOS quads shouldn't be a problem.

The newer P35 chipsets are supposed to be a bit better for OC'ing but of course you can not do SLi. There are now some even newer x38 Boards that are supposed to be showing up in retail channels soon, and rumors are that they can do SLi but not natively (some sort of mod must be done first).....I am not really up to full speed on intel things yet as I have been strictly AMD for many years now and I am just making the transition to intel...I am sure someone else with more intel knowledge will be along soon to answer your concerns more suffciently than I can.

It is unclear if the 680i boards will O/C the upcoming Penryn quads very well. Already, the P35 chipset overclocks the current quads better. So, what you listed is fine, but the motherboard might not be the best for future upgrades. Trouble is, if you are set on getting SLI, there really isn't any other options until the upcoming 690i chipset is released. The Intel X38 has been rumored off and on to allow SLI, but it's looking more like wishful thinking maybe. The other thing I'd change is the PSU. I think that OCZ is a quad rail and overrated. If you want a better PSU, get the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 like I have.

I don't know though if I'll have the extra cash to sli anytime soon and it may end up being better just to stick to 1 gtx, till the next gen cards are out.
Chances are I probably wont sli unless I get the 2nd gtx cheap (almost had one dirt cheap bout 2 weeks ago, but then the owner got a copy of bioshock :-/ )

So if i was to only go 1 gtx what would be a good all around board?
As far as over clocking, I am not one to go all out, I'll probably settle for 3.0-3.2 GHz but only time will tell.

batboy -question?
Would the ocz 600w 12rails(20/18) have enough wattage for: abit 35 pro, q6600,2hdd, 2*1g tracer 8500, 8800gtx?

So if i was to only go 1 gtx what would be a good all around board?

My favorite overclocking boards right now are the Abit IP35/IP35 Pro and Asus P5K/P5K Premium. Both series use the P35 chipset and both are very good. They will indeed support the new 45nm socket 775 processors with a BIOS update. The new X38 chipset motherboards are starting to show up. Within a few weeks all the manufacturers will have a version available. They will be a lot more expensive, but might be a tad faster.

batboy -question?
Would the ocz 600w 12rails(20/18) have enough wattage for: abit 35 pro, q6600,2hdd, 2*1g tracer 8500, 8800gtx?

The OCZ 600w has enough watts to handle the listed components, but it's a little light on +12v amps. You have a quad core CPU and 8800GTX listed, both of which are power hungry. My opinion is it would work perfectly fine at default speeds and probably be ok at a modest O/C, but will "probably" run out of juice if you push the O/C to the upper limits, especially if you have a lot of drives, fans, and other stuff like that. The Corsair 620HX and PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 are much better choices.

WELL, IF YOU ARE GOING TO SPENT YOUR MONEY, AND WANT A REALY GOOD OC. GO WITH THE X38, SOME RETAILERS STARTED SELLING THEM YESTERDAY. LIKE WWW.CLUBIT.COM. THEY CARRY THE GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 =) HAVE REALLY GOOD REVIEWS AND LOOKS LIKE A CARNIVAL XD... WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT XD

X38 borads are great for oc ing but dont get them if your not goign to oc that far. A p35 board will do fine, and will be alot cheaper.

LOL at that gigabyte thing... I think theyre planning a TV series based around it....

well for the money ill go with x38.... better overclocking xD and two pci 2.0 =). But it doesnt have sli so, if you are planing on sli go with the evga 680i

Back