• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old water blocks on modern processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mustanley

So when pricing components for an upgrade, I was trying to decide where to cut some corners. I've got a Q6600 G0 already and a P5K Premium on the way, and since I'm sticking with WC, I figured I'd give my old danger den maze4 cpu block a shot on this Q6600. The way I see it, I could spend $60 for a new block like an Apogee or Fuzion, or spend $10 for a new top for the maze4.

My feeling is that it will work pretty good on the quad since the maze4 was designed to cool a large surface area. I've even got the cold plate and 226W pelt should I decide to get a little freaky with it.

So what do you think... will this maze4 cut the mustard or will I be disappointed when I start cranking the volts and MHz? The rest of my loop consists of a 2-302 heater core w/2 sanyo denkis and a mcp655 (upgrading from a Danner Mag 3). Not planning on WC the 8800GTS... yet

I've heard the maze's are dissapointing with quads as the cooling pins are not big enough just get an apogee GT if your chilling get a MCW6000/2

Well, it doesn't use a pin grid array like the apogee, more like channels.
Anyway, guess I'll find out. I'll be sure to post some coretemps after I get everything up and running this week.

The geek in me would not be able to resist mounting it to see results. :thup:

I currently use my old becooling slit edge just for some old school feel.
I don't think it would do too badly on a quad core as it's wet channel area is the same size as a modern IHS.
The downside is that I'm WAY too poor to have that new of a processor to try it out on...I still run my trusty A64 :(

I have the same question.. Have a swiftech waterbloack (Storm) and want to use it on a Q6600. If i have to buy a new block so be it but if i can just keep this one I would be happy..

Last edited:
There is a lot of data out there on how the Storm will perform on modern C2D CPUs, not so sure about Quads. However the Storm was designed for IHS-Less CPUs, so doesnt work that well with the greater surface area of the new Intels.

Looking forward to results of the Maze4 on a Quad :)

I'm in the same boat, being cash strapped right now I am trying to make the best of what I can of the water parts I have. It stinks because usually you will hear just save up an extra $20 and get this or that, but in my case, I actually need to sell stuff to pay medical bills so my water cooling equiptment isn't going to expand any. Right now I am using a Zalman block that came with the reserator setup I had for a silent setup back before my many injuries, and it is doing a very poor job on the quad, dispite the Via Aqua pump and good radiator cooling with high speed fans. I do have a MCW6000, but I dont have the 775 mounting although I do think I could scrape $10 to buy that. I have a White water on its way here I got after selling a different part, and after seeing the zalman block reach around 68C at 1.5V at 3.7ghz on my Q6600 I will report on how the WW compares and if thats horrible I will try investing the $10 and try the MCW6000 and let you guys know how that works out. If I were you Mustanley, I would go with the pelt, but then again I'm a nut like that. There is actually a block for sale on the forums, one of the swiftechs with the 226W pelt on it that I would love to buy and may if its not sold by the time my motherboard gets here. I am going to dig out some other stuff to sell and worst case, I wil sell all the older cooling blocks and get a newer one. I am hoping the WW actually can hold its own. I had one of the silver ones back in the day and it worked awsomly on my NF7-S and AMD 2500+ Mobile keeping it nice and cool, but these quads are a beast of a totally different matter, and can heat up the entire loop very quickly if under load for extended periods. I imagine the tec would add to that as well.
Just out of curiosity, would it hurt to add my reserator to my loop as it has a pum in it as well which would mean 2 pumps, plus add almost 2 gallons of water to the loop making it harder to heat up all the water unless the load was very high and very constant. Any thoughts on adding this? Oh yea, good thread... I am all for saving the good old stuff. I hate having to buy new things every time a new part comes out.

Hmm, good question, would a mcw6002 work better than air? I'm just running standard setup.

Also, more pumps != better. Don't add the reserator.

I think the whitewater and mcw6002 both would work well cooling large processors like q6600. But that's really just a guess...

OK the old blocks may not work as well as the new kings but @ best they would only be 5deg cooler. I still use a TdX on my c2d and it works out good for me .

Can't wait to hear the results!

Like the other guys I too think it'll work fine without much of a difference between new ones.

Some results of my testing. The horizontal axis is the number of mounts. This is on my testbed which uses a 6600 CPU.

nikhsub-block-test.jpg

Thanks for the graph Nik. Was that C2D at stock or overolted and OC'd when you did the testing?

for me adding the 2nd pump would requre the reserator as its built into it. I guess I wont be adding it then. I will report what happens when my WW gets here compared to the zalman.

Back