• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home cnc milled water block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo_fx

A friend of mine has some awesome tools at his house, a mill that he's CNC'd and a laser device that cuts plexi :drool:

I've been running a slow P4 630 (3Ghz) that hits about 3.7Ghz on air, so I asked him if he'd be willing to play around and trying to make one. So far this is our first attempt. Everything is drawn in Autocad and then basically sent to the mill to sum it up.

Let me know what you think :)

Also, yes I know its aluminum, but its a lot cheaper to play with Aluminum than copper :)

Pictures aren't great but it shows some detail.

I should mention that right now the block is sealed with auto-sealent. We have an idea on a better way to use plexi and a copper/alum base aswell to reduce cracking. The design is just something made up off the top of our heads so I have no idea how it'll work.... yet. :santa:

Thanks for looking!

-Nick

What you wanna do if there is a little button that resembles a flower, Press it + enable flash then take photo :)

It might be, the channels are really deep however I'll find out soon enough, its our first at this, the second one in the works is going to be pretty slick =)

Looking at the first pictures, I am assuming flow will go from right to left. What is the idea behind that V shaped wall. Looks very restrictive.

--pak

The idea was to keep the water over the center longer, that would probably work alright for an AXP chip where your right on the die, however thinking about it with this P4 and the IHS it doesn't make much sense.

I think you will all like the second design much more, it'll be a week or so but it should flow much more and have a ton more surface area.

-Nick

Can't wait to see your next blocks. I am waiting for you to put swiftech and dtek out of business.

--pak

He stated autocad in the OP.

--pak

You can draw with AutoCAD, Solid modeling sucks with AutoCAD, so most people use other programs. And AutoCAD is not a CAM program so he had to use more than one program...

I can't remember the names for the life of me that we used to generate our toolpaths, I looked at some names @ cnczone. It was CAM something LazyCam and possibly SmartCAM. We had problems with one and ended up using the other.

You can draw with AutoCAD, Solid modeling sucks with AutoCAD, so most people use other programs. And AutoCAD is not a CAM program so he had to use more than one program...

Right, basically how this works for anyone that isn't familiar with this all, is you create your 2d image in Autocad. You then take that into one of these CAM programs to setup depths of your 2d image. Finally you simulate roughing passes and finishing passes to speed up the process, and save your toolpaths.

That description is simplified but it's what we did :)

If I recall, my old boss was fond of BobCAM or whatever when it came to small businesses with just a few machines and a few jobs. I mainly did the retrofitting of the electronics, and I had enough to do as it was...

BTW that almost looks like a Flowmaster muffler design. They are known for low restriction and a great sound (my 67 bird has them).

BTW2 where in Wisconsin are you?

Back